Chapter 10 Welcome back from the Land of the Sassenach

Four days after his misadventure, a bruised and haggard face stared back at Daniel. Mirrors really should be banned. The face looking at him couldn't possibly be his. Daniel grimaced then stuck out the tongue that had finally tasted Rose, hoping the man in the mirror would make a different move, but he didn't. He should shave. Maybe if he shaved then the face wouldn't mock him so badly. There had to be a razor somewhere close at hand. But, thanks to Marcus, a shave and a shower were forbidden. The excuse given -- they had to be sure he wouldn't pass out again. Pass out, he thought, as nice a euphemism as any for fit -- seizure.

He scrubbed a hand over his still painful jaw, then lifted the hair they'd managed to save to study the row of tiny stitches in his scalp. When the hair grew back no one would see the scar. Maybe, with any luck, the residual artron energy would heal it the rest of the way. If the universe was just a little kind, that would happen and he'd actually get to ride the motorcycle he'd just bought. But the ever professional Marcus had snatched even that away. It was too dangerous for both him and the public; it was sensible, but it wasn't fair. By now, the dealership would have called wanting to know why he hadn't picked it up yet. No freedom, no bike and worst of all, no Rose. His misery was complete.

Daniel inhaled sharply, and then puffing his cheeks, he exhaled slowly. If he stayed in the loo any longer Marcus would send a medic looking for him. He couldn't risk that, Marcus had agreed that as long as he followed a long list of restrictions, including no work, he could rejoin the living. He hated that damn list; eat, sleep, walk, it was no life. He glanced around the infirmary room, grabbed his lanyard, and walked out wondering how Pete would feel when he delivered the news.

"Behave, Mr Barrow, the Welsh nurse on duty called.

"Yes, Gwen, tell Marcus I'm good, eh."

"I will," she answered as the door closed behind him.

Outside, the cool spring had finally lifted, leaving the middle of May with the promise of summer. Daniel regretted the lack of sunglasses as he quick-stepped to the Vitex building where the artificial light was less stressful on sensitive eyes. Stepping back inside a building provided welcome relief, but required an adjustment that he would not have suffered if he were fully Time Lord. He leaned against the lift and waved hello to the guard making rounds. The doors closed, blissfully cutting off any chance of banter.

"He's waiting, Mr Barrow. Glad to see you up and around," the receptionist said when the lift re-opened on the fourth-floor reception area. Daniel smiled and tried to make striding to Pete's private office look less of a chore. "Hey," he called, "can I come in?" he said with as much cheeriness as he could muster.

Pete waved him to a chair. "Yeah, come on. I thought you'd gotten lost on the way over from infirmary. You look like -- well anyway, glad to see you up. You might want to sit down before you fall down."

Daniel walked over to the chair. "Thanks for selling Rose the story."

"Yeah, I'm a good liar, so she bought it. Seems the Doctor took a header or two in his time." Pete laughed.

"That's why I thought she'd buy me falling over the coils. Again, thanks." Daniel eased instead of plopped into the leather chair.

"Still sore?"

"Yeah, I feel like every muscle ripped apart. I guess Marcus told you; he won't let me work, right?"

"Yep, he made it official this morning with an email, sorry."

Daniel swallowed thickly whilst studying a cup of paper clips. "I hate that," he said. "Somebody tells me I can't do something, and it's like a big sign that says: do it. "