Chapter 28 Beginnings

With Robbie on his shoulders, acting as the lookout, they weaved through the crowd in the general direction of the fair. It required twenty minutes of searching but they found Addie and Mr Borwick standing over Jake as they forced him to sit on a bench to rest. "That's not fair," Robbie said.

 "What's not fair?" Daniel asked.

 "Jake has pink candy floss, can I have candy floss, Mum?"

 "No, it's bad enough you'll eat hot dogs," she said.

 "Ah, processed meat in a tube," Daniel said as they weaved closer to their target. Three minutes late, they pushed through the crowd to see Addie waving them over.

 "It's about time, I mean how long does it take to walk from a car park, Jake quipped. 

 "Football pitch, actually the other side of. It was a good walk through five maybe six hundred people," Daniel said with a manic grin as he lifted Robbie down. "Don't overdue, and thanks. Really."

 "He'll be fine," Nick said as he lifted Robbie Up on his shoulders.

 "I was talking about Jake," Daniel said with a grin.

 "Bye, Daniel. Make him have fun, Nora," Jake said as he stood up and started walking with Nick following close behind.

 "Ja, goodbye," Addie said kissing his cheek, "have fun, I will watch them."

 When she turned and followed Jake and Nick, she stepped close to Mr Borwick letting the man reach for her hand. Daniel grimaced when she didn't pull away.

 "Are you sure he'll be alright," Nora asked glancing back at Robbie's rapidly disappearing head obviously worried about leaving her son.  

 "I promise," Daniel answered still watching Addie. "Jake and Nick will be in seventh heaven looking out for him. They're talking about adopting, so it'll be good practice. And Addie lost her grandbaby in the Troubles. Did you see how Mr Borwick took her hand? Is that proper? At their age?" he said draping an arm around her shoulder. He glanced back one last time before they made the walk to his car.

 "Of course it is. I think it's cute. What are we going to do?" she asked.

 "Unless you really want to ride the Ferris wheel, I thought we could go for a walk in the glen and then there is something I want you to see. After that, we'll see. " 

 "No, I think the glen sounds better," she said as she leaned against his side enjoying the way he steered her through the crowd on their way back to the car. She liked this side of Daniel, taking charge. As they walked she glanced up at his face studying the way his eyes crinkled at the corner with even the slightest smile. She'd never intended to give him her heart. When a soft sigh escaped he just tightened the pressure of his arm in reassurance. She reached up and let her fingers intertwine with his. Her breath quickened when he traced his thumb across the back of her hand.

 After the run-in with Ian, the trip to court and then the Filsons; it was nice to just lean against him, and feel safe. When the car was in sight, he hit the remote on his key to unlock the door. For a second Daniel hesitated before opening the door, pulling her around to face him. Her heart pounded harder at the soft, dreamy expression in his eyes. She couldn't resist when he pulled her snugly against him and rested his chin on her head. His breath tickled against her scalp. Neither cared a few passersby twittered when he pulled back, dropped his face to hers and brushed her lips with his. It was a sweet, chaste kiss that left her wanting more.

 When it ended, his dilated pupils and gentle smile promised more than love; they promised security and safety. With his arms still around her, he glanced around and then lowered his head to kiss her again; bolder and full of so much potential, her knees buckled slightly. A shiver of unexpected fear flooded her, filling her with dread. She wanted desperately to be alone with him, but giving herself so completely, terrified her.