Chapter 25 The New Boss Comes to Town

The sound of TARDIS engines whrooping six AM ended Daniel's lovely dream. He had one minute to plod across to the computerised alarm clock before it slipped into the second, louder mode designed to ensure that he actually got up.  His eyes drifted close letting the seconds pass by, something he rarely did. Usually, the thought of the cloister bells shattering the morning was enough to get him up, but this was too lovely a dream to give up. The first deep song of the bells echoed in his brain. Daniel dragged himself from the warm bed and cut the bells off. During his trudge to the shower,   he considered the possibility that engineering cloister bells as a backup alarm may not have been the best of his ideas. As the bath filled with steam, he ran a list of possible less annoying sound effects, like -- birds. Sweet trills of the birds had to be a better choice. Mindful of his guests, he skipped the usual serenade when he stepped in the shower.  Why did humans in both universes invent Mondays?

Not a sound came from Nick and Jake's room went he went past on his way to breakfast.  The first scents of the day drifted through the lounge.  The sound of Finn's toenail's clicked across the floor as the dog, tail wagging,   came to meet him. It made Daniel realise how thoroughly domestic he'd become in the last few weeks. He ruffled the dog's ears then went for his cup of morning tea.  

"The boys are still asleep," he said after he kissed Addie's cheek and took the plate of eggs and bacon from her.  "How'd the dog do last night?"

"Oh, he was fine.  We're going to be great friends. Thank you, Daniel."

Daniel grinned through a mouthful of eggs and potatoes.

"Can I ask you a question?" Addie poured her coffee and sat down across from him.

"Sure, anything except how much he cost. Just, don't send your pay cheque from Pete back this month," he replied with a smirk.

"I'm sorry," she answered. 

"I'm not. I like the big goofy dog."

"How was the weekend with Nora?

"You and Jake," he chuckled. "It was -- truly good. We're going to see each other. And Robbie is ... brilliant. He's a natural with a camera, so I'm getting him one of those simple point-and-shoot ones."

"What about Rose? How do you feel about her coming home?"

"Have to say, I was surprised to find her here. I ... can't go back there again, Addie."

"She's a good girl, Daniel, just a bit verwirrt."

"I know she's confused, and I know how much she hurts, believe me, I know. But," he paused and then smiled, "you know ... when you are in school and your first crush is the cheerleader who's in love with the football or the rugby captain? Whenever they are away from you, all your thoughts are about them, and when you're with them, you can't breathe."

"Yeah -- yes I do. His name was Heinrich," she mused.

Daniel ran his tongue across the back of his teeth trying to organise his thoughts. "That's me and Rose. She's the cheerleader, the Doctor-- well," he drawled, " that part is obvious. I'm the git from the science club. But then you grow up and realise you're never getting the cheerleader. A few weeks ago, I thought that I wouldn't be able to breathe if Rose came back. I wanted her to know that I was still here, still waiting. But when I saw her yesterday, I was glad that my friend came home, but that's it. I just wanted to hug my friend and hold Nora's hand. Does this make sense?"

"It makes perfect sense, Schatz.  I like Nora, she's a good girl and she adores you. Truth be told, she is who I would choose for a daughter-in-law ... if it were my choice." She leaned over to kiss his cheek. "Go to work."