Chapter 29 So Long, Ned

The trill of a ringing mobile spiralled through the darkness straight into Daniel's sleep-fogged brain, yanking him up from the loveliest dream. For once his sleep had remained free of the monsters that usually snapped him awake in the middle of the night. The persistent noise stopped, and he sank back against his pillow, completely relaxed. If the weight across his leg hadn't been so uncomfortable, he would have let the darkness swallow him whole. Unfortunately, the pins and needles made it impossible. He wriggled, just a bit, huffing with relief when the weight shifted off. He cracked one eye open, stunned to find the room in total darkness. He'd thought it was a dream at first. It didn't seem possible, but here she was; in his arms -- asleep. Using his long index finger, he gently lifted the hair from her face making her wrinkle her nose in response. 

To have Rose in his arms and his bed had been the Doctor's secret dream from the moment he regenerated into his tenth face. In an odd way, that desire came close to reality when he turned himself into the human John Smith. Daniel wondered if any part of the Doctor realised he came close to unconsciously substituting Joan Redfern for Rose. A moment of his own panic struck when that same thought hit him. For a second, his heart pounded wildly with the fear he'd used Nora. But then she shifted again, reflexively bringing his arms around her. The thought vanished like a wisp of smoke in the autumn air. It wasn't possible to love this much and the feeling be fake.  

The phone buzzed again making him ease on arm off her to reach sideways to grab the annoying contraption. His voice, still husky with sleep, cracked when he tried to speak. "Yeah, walking in the glen usually makes me sleepy too," Jake teased.

"Jake?" Daniel whispered. "What time is it?"

"Um, nearly nine," Jake chuckled. "The fireworks have ended and we are headed for the car."

"The car? Home?"  Daniel squeaked, filled with enough panic that Nora raised her head to blink in sleepy confusion.

"Yeah. And his Lordship wants to know if you took pictures and made Mum laugh," Jake said in obvious pleasure knowing that Daniel was squirming. 

Nora sat up and looked around. "Oh, God, Daniel. How long?" she whispered as she reached for his dressing gown.

"Um, Jake, how long? Are you in the car yet?"

"Getting in the car now," Jake replied.

Daniel winced when he heard the car door shut. Under ideal circumstances, the drive took fifteen minutes. At least the village would be crowded, slowing down the drive. "Half hour max," he replied to Nora as he swung his legs over the edge of the bed. "Jake, just drive safe, okay, and make sure you restrain Robbie properly," Daniel ordered eyeing Nora in the dim light fastening the dressing gown around her lithe form. He giggled as he flipped on the light and reached for his crumpled pants and jeans lying in the middle of the floor.

"What?" she asked.

"I guess our walk in the glen took a bit longer than we planned."

"I'd say so," she replied as she walked over to wrap her arms around his waist. "We'll have to be quieter on our next walk." She grinned.  

"There was a song a long time ago titled Afternoon Delight. Don't remember who sang it, but we had it, eh?"

"I'd say so." She leaned up to kiss him. "I'm taking a shower; you should probably wash your manky armpits before they get here."

Was Nora supposed to walk so stiff, he thought, watching her walk to the en-suite "Right," he replied his voice raw with desire. 

He needed to research how often a person could dance in one day. His own muscles ached as he zipped his jeans, and made his way to grab a tee from the drawer before heading for the hallway loo. He could hear Nora singing as he flipped the bathroom light on and stepped to the sink for a quick wash. A proud grin tugged at his mouth when he looked in the mirror, wondering if somehow, he looked different.