Chapter 8 Suspicions

Photographers outside of the popular pub scrambled for shots of both the willing and unwilling. Rose hated the way they staked places like this out, like some predator on the natural history channel for BBC. She'd learned how to disappear in the crowd, but with Daniel, it would be a feeding frenzy. She hesitated as he stepped in front of her, making sure the only picture a lucky photographer managed would be of his back. It was another part of the Doctor that hadn't changed, The need to protect her, 

"You want them to have a shot of me with a mysterious stranger? It'll make front page news on at least a few of the gossip mongering rags in the morning. You'll be famous." she said.

He tugged his ear, her eyes twinkled but her expression was serious. "Em, no. He arched one eyebrow, giving him a slightly conspiratorial expression, as he slipped his arm around her waist. "I have bo wish to be famous. C'mon,  new plan," he said as he guided her toward the guarded exit.They slipped into a well-lit tunnel that exited a short block behind the club.

"How did you know about this?" Rose answered through a fit of giggles.

He chuckled. "I checked the floor plans before I came, just in case. I discovered that they built a celebrity escape tunnel."

"Five years in this place and I had no clue. You here two weeks -- this is amazing."

His manic grin matched the sparkle in her eyes. For the first time since arriving on this stupid planet, Daniel felt happy. "Betcha can't beat me to the end," he challenged.

"You're on." Rose judged the distance and glanced at her feet, clad in black flats and then at his. Someone had convinced him to switch his converse to dress shoes. Surely that would even the odds. 

"One, two --"

Before he could finish the count, Rose took off. "That's cheatin'," he called after sprinting to catch her up. Daniel ran, easily catching her before she reached the exit door and pulled her into his arms. For a tiny second, she stiffened, but then she relaxed against him.  Daniel wasn't sure if they were both breathless because of the run or because they were finally wrapped in each other's arms. "Does this count, Rose? " He breathed the question more than asked.

"As what?" she asked her voice cracked. She gave him a chaste kiss right on the lips.

Daniel's lips tingled. He nuzzled her neck and sniffed her hair. The scent of her shampoo combined with her perfume filled his senses. An intense desire to know all of her sent his heart racing. Lust filled his voice. "Our first date. Remember, I told you, I wanted to take you out for more than chips. Does this count?"

His breath tickled her neck. "Oh, yeah, definitely qualifies," she murmured as he kissed under her ear.

"Good, that's good, 'cos I really want to kiss you. Can I snog you, Rose Tyler?"

Rose looked into his dark eyes flecked with gold. From anyone else, the question would be odd, but his dreamy eyes and innocent expression made her smile. "Yeah, you can," she crooned.
Daniel cradled her face in both hands, lifted her chin slightly and brushed his lips tentatively against hers. His tongue traced a path across her lips, memorising their softness. When she didn't pull back, his mouth caught hers, sucking slightly on her upper lip and then he claimed her mouth, Their kiss deepened, becoming hungry and desperate, Rose moulded against his frame. His body reacted to the desperate need. The sound of someone's laughter drifted toward them from the tunnel entrance.

Daniel pulled back to see Rose's dilated pupils and lust filled eyes. He wanted to push her against the wall and take her right here in this tunnel. The thought shocked him. Several seconds passed before he managed a few trembling words. The sound of voices drifted down the tunnel. "Someone's found our tunnel," he said kissing her forehead.

"We should go," Rose answered huskily. The sound of laughter grew closer. "We should -- really. Go."

"Now?" he whinged.

Rose pressed her face into his chest and laughed. "Yeah, Daniel, we should go -- now."

Daniel wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pushed the door open into the empty alley. The cool spring night air brushed against their flushed skin sending a shiver through them both. He kept her close as they made their way to the street. Only one thought filled his mind as his heart raced with desire. She called him Daniel. He took her hand, pushed through the crowd, and as Rose guided them back to her car, he leaned next to her ear and whispered seductively, "run with me a little while longer, hey."

Despite the crowd and music coming from the clubs, the two walked back to the car in blissful silence, his arm around her shoulders hugging her close to his side. The din from the clubs grew fainter as they neared the car park. Daniel glanced down at her every few steps debating whether he should pinch himself. Maybe the walls between them were finally crumbling. When they reached the car, Daniel let out a whistle of appreciation for the SUV that bore her personal license plate in the back and Torchwood's in front.

She grinned at his expression when the remote lock on the keychain beeped twice, unlocking the car. Daniel whistled at the car's interior. Torchwood had outfitted the car with every technological advancement possible. He couldn't resist reaching over to the touch screen. A voice activated panel on the console replaced the typical gear shift. A separate panel displayed everything from a mobile connection to the environmental controls. Seats could be repositioned with just a tap. The only thing missing was the great big threatening button, preferably a red one.

"This -- this is bloody marvellous. Like a little spaceship on wheels."