Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen.

Eventually we moved the log ad two hours later we reached the hunting lodge. The place was deserted, thankfully, as we were all for lack of a better word, fucked. For three days life was all about making sure the lodge was safe, taking stock of our food supplies and just getting some well-earned rest. On the morning of the fourth day me and Kitty decided it was time to have a group meeting, there was a lot to discuss and not just the encounter we’d had on the road.

Mike allowed Zak, Kitty and Andy to join us in the dining room. For the past three days they had been confined to the lodge’s master bedroom. Andy had woken on the second day and he proved to be a soft spoken man with a kind smile.

“Right.” I started once everyone was seated round the dining room table. There wasn’t quite enough room so Zak had hoisted himself onto one of the counter tops and I just stood leaning against the door frame. “I think we all know why we called this meeting. It’s important for us all to be on the same page, to have an understanding.” I met the eyes of every single person around the table. “While I have a heartbeat, no one is getting taken. By anyone or anything. We’re going to stick together and we are going to stay safe. We’ll look out for each other and we’ll make it through this. Simple. That is all there is to it. I’m not saying it wasn’t scary, I was terrified. But I knew that Zak and Luke and Sandy would never let anything happen to me. I knew that if Chris and Lilly had seen me go down they would have come for me. I knew that if one of those men had me by the throat Brian and Maggie would have come to my aid. Because that’s the kind of team we are. And now you guys are part of it.”

“And we’re happy to be a part of it. I’ve been out of it for a couple of days now so I haven’t been able to do my best to protect you.” Kitty admitted to her guys. “But I’ve not been too concerned. One because I know you’re all capable people who can look out for yourselves but more importantly because I knew Alex was out there standing with you.”

“Alone we’re weak.” Put in Zak. “But together? Look what we’ve achieved in less than a week of being together? We cleared a town of walkers near enough. We’ve not lost a single person who didn’t deserve to get lost. We’ve fought off a group of fairly well organized bandits. Personally I don’t think we’re doing bad.”

“I agree.” I added. “I think we just need to put this far behind us and look to the future.”

“Speaking of which. Where do we stand with regards to supplies?” Kitty asked Chris and Lily who had been put in charge of food, water and gas supplies.

“To be honest with you, we’re standing in the shit.” Chris said bluntly. “Water supplies are ok but we need to go out and find food now. Obviously there’s more of us now and we didn’t take that into account when we first started rationing food. That was our fault. We have enough for a day and half and after that we have nothing.”

“Looks like we have a decision to make.” Kitty declared. “Leave now or leave later. Either way we’re going to have to move on. Alex, thoughts?”

“We should take food for the road, I think it’d be stupid to head out with no supplies.” I commented. I wanted to leave as soon as possible but I felt it was important to give the others a say. I was determined for our little group to stay a democracy.

“All those who want to leave later?” Everyone looked around but no one raised their hands. “Guess we’re leaving now then.”

“I can be ready to leave in an hour.” Mike told us as we all left to get ready.

“You sure? We can give you a little longer if you need it.” I assured him. I didn’t want him to feel rushed or anything.

“No an hour will be fine. But I want you two back in bed till it’s time to go.” Mike ordered, gesturing to Andy and Kitty. “Zak, you can stay up but if I see you lifting anything you’ll be right back in bed. Got it?” Zak smirked, mock saluted and walked off to help out Chris and Lily with the food supplies.

“Mike I’m fine, honest.” Kitty protested.

“Oh I’m sorry Kitty, I didn’t know you have a medical background.” Mike answered sarcastically. Kitty and Andy grumbled but sloped off back to bed.

“What do you want me to do boss?” Asked Brian.

“I think we need a heading, more short term than the coast. Think you can find somewhere we’ll be safe for a few days?” I asked.

“I’ll give it a go, where’s the map?”

“Out on the porch.”

“What’re we gunna do Alex?” Sandy asked, taking my hand.

“Well Sandy, we’re on weapons duty.”

“I like that job bestest.”

“I had a feeling you might.”

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

“What do you think we’ll find at the coast?” Asked Sandy as we loaded the small collection of guns we’d acquired.  

“I’m going to bet there’ll be a whole lot of water, maybe some sand too if we’re lucky.” I teased lightly.

“I’m serious!” Pouted Sandy, her cute little nose all scrunched up.

“Ok, ok. Well I don’t really know. It’s not so much the destination but the journey. Maybe we’ll find some more survivors on the way, the good kind.”

“You think so?”

“Sure. I mean, we’ve survived, chances are others have too and I reckon that eventually, we’ll run into them.”

“I hope we find some kids so I have someone to play with.”

“I hope we find Johnny Depp so I have someone to play with.” I muttered under my breath.

“What?”

“Oh nothing.”

END OF CHAPTER

A/N Sorry this chapter's so short, I already have the next few chapters written and the next one's really long. I wanted to upload asap otherwise I'd have just merged the chapters... Thanks for reading!