Chapter Eight

A/N I am so sorry it's been so long, honestly? I didn't think all that many people were into it and I'm trying to sort out my portfolio for Uni. Hope you enjoy none the less :)

Chapter Eight

“That’s not good.” I stated as we all stood, shocked and scared. It was Zak and Geoff’s car that had begun the sound and the two desperately swung axes and crowbars at the dashboard, it soon turned off but we all knew it hadn’t silenced soon enough. 

“No, we’re not ready yet. We can’t fight them all.” Zak said, his voice was calm on the surface but the underlying currents told me he had no plan and was beginning to freak out.

“Ok. Ok here’s what we do.” I started, no real plan in mind but I figured now would be the time to start improvising. “Our only goal now is to survive and get the medicine from the hospital. Do you know where it is?” I asked Kitty

 “Yes.” Her eyes were wide, I could tell she was shocked I still planned to help her friend.

“You and Zak are going to go into town and get the medicine, you’ll have to be quick and very cautious, there will still be infected walkers in the town. While you go there the rest of us will get in these cars and attract as many walkers that we can, we’ll lure them away from the town. As soon as you have the medicine go to your friends, we’ll meet you there. Luke, take one of Kitty’s guys and go get the others, they aren’t safe anymore and we may have to lead the walkers out that way, then meet us at Kitty’s camp.” The plan was shaky at best, I wasn’t sure if it would work and if we would all survive.

“There’s a building site out west, we passed through it on the way to you, there were no walkers, if a couple of us get there fast we could use the digger, dig a big hole and lure the walkers in, use the cars and other machinery to round them up and get them in. Then we torch them.” A girl called Jane added. I nodded slowly, that might just work. A screeching cry in the distance sealed the plan.

“Let’s do it then, questions?”

“Just be careful Alex, and I know Sandy doesn’t need looking after but watch her, I don’t want her taking on the whole freaking town.” Sandy grinned.

“You know me so well Lukey.” Luke bent down and kissed her forehead then kissed me on the cheek, to my surprise.

“My two favourite girls, watch out for each other.” Then he left with Jane, in a silver car that had the keys in the ignition.

The rest of us weren’t so lucky and had to hotwire the cars and by the time we were all ready the fastest infected had already begun to enter the field. Zak and Kitty had already made for the woods and as soon as they could three of Kitty’s people set off in a wide arc to the building site.

Me and Sandy sat in one car while Geoff sat in another right next to us. The zombies got closer and closer, getting faster as they got more excited at the prospect of fresh meat. I tapped my fingers nervously on the steering wheel, all of my internal instincts were telling me to ram my foot on the accelerator and get the hell out of there.

Geoff crack his window and I did the same. Sandy was arranging her weapons around her, she was quite excited to practise with the crossbow she’d found back at the cabin.

“How close are we going to let them get?” Asked Geoff.

“Wait till you can see the whites of their eyes. Give Kitty and Zak about thirty minutes then we lead them through town to pick up any stragglers, building site after that. The hole should be ready by then.” Geoff nodded and closed the gap in his window, I did the same and settled in to wait. We weren’t waiting long.

I stuck the car in reverse and pushed my foot on the accelerate. I spun the car one way while Geoff spun his the other. Sandy cracked her window and stuck the barrel of her gun out, ready for when the trouble really started.

I stuck the plan and went out onto the road while Geoff took his time, making sure none of the walkers at the back noticed the other food sources before the time came, it was all about distraction.

“I have an idea.” Sandy said, eyes scanning the road side.

“Go on.”

“You’re not going to like it.”

“I didn’t think I was going to.” I sighed.

“I’ll get into the trunk, by the back seat, cut a small hole and then I can shoot from there, you know, just in case.”

“In case of what?” I asked, the plan was pretty low risk for us an Geoff, unless the cars broke down.

“Well what if there’s specials in the town?” Sandy asked, in a sort of, why haven’t you thought of this voice.

“What the hell are specials?” I asked, I knew I wouldn’t like the answer and for a brief moment I considered not even bothering to ask.

“Fuck.” Sandy whispered. “You haven’t come across any of the mutated zombies yet? There’s a load of them wandering about, they come in lots of different types, some are real fast and some are real strong, like their bones expanded when they caught the infection. I saw one once with eight legs and teeth in its hands.” Oh crap. Great. Another threat to deal with.

“And none of you guys thought to mention this at any point?” I asked, rounding a corner into a suburb, you know, a place I swore I’d never go back to.

“Alex, the specials are scary. It’s not something we can turn into a contest or brag about, they scare everyone, even Zak. We don’t talk about them, ever. The walkers are gross but the specials, they’re something else entirely, the zombies I can kind of accept as possible but the specials are just so, so…. Awful. Unlike anything I’ve ever seen before, even in the movies.”

“I understand, just like we didn’t tell Kitty about the dead family because we don’t really want to accept it just yet.”

“Yeah, exactly.”

I slammed on the brakes and revved the engine. There were no walkers around and I wanted them all to be following me or Geoff. I beeped the horn a couple of times and then sat, waiting as Sandy climbed into the back and pulled the seat forward so she could wriggle into the trunk. I could hear her stabbing the metal of the trunk with her hunting knife. Slowly walkers began to come towards us, slow and sluggish, not in full hunting mode yet. I beeped the horn a couple more times and flashed the lights to wake them up a bit. I needed them to follow me, not lose interest.

“Get back in the car for a minute, away from that hole.” I ordered Sandy. She nodded and folded the patch of metal back into place before she climbed into the back seat.

“How long do we have to stay here?” Asked Sandy. The walkers had reached the car and had begun to bang on the windows, clawing at the doors.

“Just a little longer. I kept a close eye on the glass, making sure it was holding up to the assault. Finally the sound I’d been waiting for rang out, the hunting call of the infected. “Now we can leave.” I drove off, running a few of the walkers over in the process.

We made it back to the long road and headed back to the cabin, Sandy got back in position and when we were well clear I stopped again and held my hand on the horn for a good thirty seconds. As soon as the walkers came into view again behind us I set off and this time I didn’t stop, driving about thirty miles an hour.

“Oh God.” Sandy whimpered from the trunk. I looked in me rear view and immediately wished I hadn’t.  It was a walker but at the same time, so much more. Easily the size of a bull with thick rippling muscles. It came barrelling towards us like a gorilla, only faster. It’s skin had ripped from severe muscle growth and its hands bled not only from propelling itself down the asphalt on its fists but from the sharp talons protruding from its knuckles.

To look at that beast was to look into hell itself, only way more terrifying.