Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

We decided to head for an old hunting lodge I found on the map. Unfortunately the road got trickier that day. Just after lunchtime we encountered a few infected that needed dispatching and a car wreck that needed shifting out of the way so we could pass.

Two hours after that we got held up again by a fallen tree.

“Fuck sake.” I groaned as I slowed to a stop in front of the log.

“How’re we gunna move it?” Asked Sally.

“No idea.” I sighed. “We might have to go on foot till we find some more cars.”

“What about Zak, Kitty and Andy?”

“We’ll problem solve, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, we need to speak to the others first.”

I sat on the fallen tree with Sandy on my knees. The sun was out but the breeze was chilly, I could feel goose pimples rising on my skin. I rubbed Sandy’s arms as she began to shiver in an effort to keep her warm.

“So,” I started. “any suggestions?”

“It’s too heavy to move.” Zak pointed out uselessly.

“Thanks for that Sherlock.” Kitty smirked cheekily, a grin spreading across her lips. We’d found some pain killers in the car wreck so her leg wasn’t causing as much discomfort.

“I’m just saying.” Muttered Zak.

“Ok kids, stop squabbling. I’ll go down the road a bit on foot, see if there’s a solution further along.” I said.

“You can’t go alone.” Said Zak.

“I don’t intend to,” I replied. “Geoff, Luke, Sandy, gear up.”

-x-x-x-x-

We decided we’d walk for half an hour along the road then head back if we hadn’t found anything. That way if we weren’t back in an hour the others would know there was something wrong and could maybe try to help.

As soon as we were out of sight of the others I started to feel uneasy. We walked in silence, the breeze through the branches the only sound.

“Something doesn’t feel right.” Luke said softly.

“I agree.” I replied. “But we have to keep going.” 

“Look.” Sandy pointed up ahead. There was a car sat in the middle of the road.

“Into the trees.” I ordered.

We ran silently into the tree line and hid. I held my finger to my lips, indicating silence.

“What?” Mouthed Geoff.

“Ambush.” I mouthed back, not taking my eyes off the car. “I’m sure of it.”

“Think we were seen?” Luke asked silently.

I shrugged and held Sandy tightly to my side. I felt like my heart was beating louder than a music gig and I couldn’t shut it up.

“What do we do now?” Geoff asked.

“We wait.” I replied. I looked at my watch, we were ok for time. My main concern was the others coming along the track, not noticing the ambush and walking straight into it. “If we were seen they’ll come looking for us. If they don’t come in five minutes we go back to the others and figure something out.”

“How can you be sure it’s not just an abandoned car?”

“I wasn’t at first but now I am. The track’s not been used properly in months, there’s leaves and twigs all over it. But there’s none on the car. It’s been moved recently, within the last few hours. The ambushers probably drive the car to their base every night, then come back when the sun comes up. Most people don’t like to travel at night these days. I sure don’t.”