Chapter Twenty Three

Twenty Three

Three weeks later and I was once again reading over the Echo file at the kitchen table with Kitty. We were still trying to make sense of it all, trying to figure out the locations that were being discussed in some of the communications, trying to work out just how Echo had manipulated and changed the virus.

“It’s no good.” Kitty sighed. “These clearly aren’t all of the documents, there’s gaps, pages missing. We need more information.”

“Agreed. But Washington?” I groaned and stretched. “It’s a long way to go, and it’s the capital, it’s a death trap, it’s got to be. And what if we get there only to find there’s someone still home? I don’t know about you but I am not in a hurry to meet these Echo guys.”

“No.” Kitty said. “That’s one group of people I’m not bothered about meeting.”

“At the same time though… We’ve been here weeks now, I feel like we should be doing something more. Trying to figure out the mystery, get the full story… But then, is it worth it? Will it change anything? The world is past saving.”

“It may be past saving, but maybe with the right information we can help it rise from the ashes.” Kitty took my hand and squeezed. “Don’t give up hope Alex, we can do it, we can keep everyone safe and we can make the world good again.”

I smiled and squeezed her hand back. Over the past few weeks me and Kitty had gotten closer and closer to the point that I didn’t know how I’d survived this whole shit fest without her.

“You’re right. As fucking usual.” I was about to suggest looking at the map to plot a route to Washington when Zak ran in through the back door, panting.

“There’s a guy on the road, a mile out, alive, stumbling.”

“Why didn’t you bring him in?” I asked.

“He’s muttering about Echo.” Kitty and me exchanged a quick glance before grabbing our guns which rested next to the back door and running out after Zak.

“He says the same thing over and over. Echo, someone has to know, have to tell, won’t go back.” Chris said when we reached the stumbling guy.

We watched his slow progress from the ditch that ran along next to highway. I took a deep breath before handing my gun to Kitty, who took it with raised eyebrows.

“Wish me luck.” I whispered.

“Die and I’ll kill you.” Kitty muttered, not taking her eyes of the guy on the road.

I slowly approached the guy, my hands empty and in plain view. He stopped and looked at me, his eyes darting from me to everywhere else.

“Hi. My name’s Alex.” I said gingerly. Look, there was no rulebook on this, no guidelines, I just had to wing it.

“Are you Echo?” He asked, his voice dropping a couple of octaves.

“Nope. But I’d really like to hear what you have to say about them.”

With that he bolted. I rolled my eyes and sprinted after him, but Zak had anticipated what he was going to do and had moved back along the highway, as soon as the guy started running, Zak cut him off, tackling him to the ground.

“I won’t go back! I won’t go fucking back!” He screamed. Kitty crouched down next to him and looked him right in the eyes.

“We’re not going to make you go anywhere you don’t want to. We’re not Echo, we’re the good guys, we just want to know what the fuck happened. Ok?” Her voice was calming, reassuring and quickly the guy began to calm down enough so that Zak could get off him.