Nine

Chapter Nine

“Sandy, shoot it.” I said, voice shaking. I stepped down hard and the car flew forwards.

“I can’t Alex.” She was shaking, I couldn’t see the tears but I could hear the sobs and it killed me inside to do it but I yelled at her.

“Sandy yes you can, you can because if you can’t we both die.” The fields on either side of us flew past with speed. I kept glancing at the speedo as we got faster and faster. Soon we were pushing 120mph and I didn’t know how much longer I could keep control along the winding road. Already a couple of times I had felt the car fighting back against my control.  

Sandy fired, hitting the beast in the shoulder. It kept coming and was keeping pace with us.

“Come on baby.” I urged. “You’ve got this. You can do this Sandy. Aim, shoot.” Sandy took another deep breath then shot, hitting it right in its bulging forehead. The monster looked dazed and stumbled, gaining us maybe ten yards before it started to pursue us again. Sandy whimpered. “That’s ok sweetheart, again! Same spot as before, it’s skull has to break at some point. It has to!” I could hear the desperation in my own voice and when the creature reared its head back, letting out and almighty roar I felt panic consume me. “Again!” I screamed.

Sandy shot three more times in quick succession, one missed, hitting it in the chest but the other two found their mark and the creature fell, skidding fifteen feet before eventually coming to a stop.

“That was a Special?” I asked Sandy as I sat clutching the steering wheel. I’d stopped the car and wasn’t taking my eyes off the gorilla like zombie that lay dead on the tarmac.

“Yes. I got it though Alex. I got it and it’s dead.” She was still shaking, gun aimed at the Special’s forehead.

“You did babe, you did so good!” I swung the car round and drove full speed at the creature, smashing it’s skull to a pulp, just to be sure.

“I can hear them coming. It called them to us before I killed it.” Sandy said as she reloaded and laid out her bullets next to her, the unused crossbow on her other side.

“I’m going to give them chance to catch up. I want you to take down the fastest at the front of the group so I can drive kind of slow. Next chance I get I’ll pull into the fields and lead them back to town.”

“Ok.”

“Sandy, are you ok?”

“It was just scary, that’s all. I thought we was going to die and I didn’t want us to die, we only just met.”

“We’re not going to die, not today at least. I promise.” She turned and looked at me, smiling, I smiled back then looked back in my rear view mirror. “Do you think there’ll be any more mutated zombies?” I asked.

“Probably not. We’ve never heard of there being more than one in a town but most towns have them. Luke had to take one down all on his own in that town he cleared. Zak’s killed two but the second nearly bit him.”

“Any idea what makes them mutate?” Sandy shrugged.

“Brian said that it couldn’t be a blood type or there’d be more of them. Luke thinks that it might be something like the people having another illness before they get turned but no one knows for sure.”

The first Infected came round the bend and I set off slowly. “Not yet.” I told Sandy. We’d left all the regular zombies behind when we had to take on the special so I wanted to make sure they all caught back up. The town needed to be as empty as possible so that Zak and Kitty could make it to the hospital.