Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

We left with two pick-up trucks, a jeep and the van. I worried that our convoy seemed to be getting a little bigger, and therefore more noticeable but as I looked at all the faces around me I couldn't see a single one that I would willingly go without seeing, we needed all four large vehicles to fit all of us and so that's what we would have.

As Kitty and Andy we feeling much better Mike let them ride with whoever they wanted instead of the back of the van, as long as Kitty had room to elevate her leg.

I drove one of the pickups with Kitty in the front with me, her leg up on the free middle seat. Sandy sat in the back of the pick-up, talking to us through the window. Her and Kitty got on really well, they ripped each other to pieces but they could both take it, the banter was hilarious and I felt the stress of the last few days melt away. 

Brian had found a small town on the map, a good few hour’s drive away and to get there we’d have to pass close to a big city. Pretty soon the trees began to thin and the terrain levelled out to an expanse of dry grassland.

The small town wasn’t our goal, we really didn’t fancy clearing a whole town any time soon, our actual destination was a small farm a couple of miles outside of town.

“I’ve been thinking.” Said Kitty sometime in the afternoon.

“Oh God.” I groaned. “What now?”

“Shut up! I was only going to suggest we sneak into the town to stock up on supplies.”

“Oh right, only.” I rolled my eyes at Sandy who giggled behind her hand.

“Hey! After that last town, this will be easy. I was thinking just a small group of us. Maybe me, you, Zak and someone else.”

“Yeah, I’m sure Mike will agree to that so soon after you screwed your ankle up.” She scowled at me. “It’s a good idea though. I think Mike will agree that we could do with hitting a pharmacy or something.”

“Maybe in a couple of days.” Started Kitty.

“Mike will let you walk on your own.” I interrupted. “But I can’t see him letting you go on some special ops mission into a zombie infested town.”

“Don’t worry Kitty!” Piped up Sandy. “I’ll go for you instead.”

“Gee, thanks for that Sandy.” Kitty grumbled.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

“I think we’re almost there girlies.” I declared a little before sunset.

“Good, my ass is falling to sleep.” Kitty informed us.

“I’m tired. It’s hard work looking after you two all day.” Sandy said.

“Cheeky.” I laughed at her while she grinned back at me, dodging the screwed up piece of paper I’d aimed behind me.

“I think this is the turning.” I muttered to myself as I pulled off the main road onto a dirt track, away from the town that was nothing more than a dot on the horizon.

Ten minutes later we pulled up outside a decidedly run down farm.

“Right girls, get your game faces on.”

I waved silently to the others, cutting the engine. I gestured to the house then pressed a finger to my lips. Me, Sandy and Luke took the front door while Geoff, Mike and Sally took the back. Zak, Kitty and Andy were made to stay with the cars, just as a precaution whilst Brian and Jane went to check out the out buildings.

I kicked in the door and heard the others at the back do the same. We’d only gotten three feet into the house before we heard Jane’s piercing scream and Brian’s surprised yell. My heart sunk to the bottom of my stomach as my pulse quickened.