How To Survive A Zombie Apocolypse- Seven

Chapter Seven

We spoke for hours, I told them about my escape from Vegas, how I’d only wanted to warn people but had started the biggest panic the world had ever seen. Finally we all crashed out, all of us sleeping in the living room.

I woke up slowly, my body sore and achy after what had been my deepest and most peaceful sleep in god knows how long.

“She lives!” Exclaimed Luke in fake astonishment. I flipped him off and rubbed my face, stretched and then groaned as all the tension from my body rippled through me.  

“What did I miss?” I asked sleepily. Sandy crawled over to me from her sleeping bag that was laid next to mine.

“Nothing really. Me and Zak, erm, dug a hole.” He said, I nodded, I got it.

“Don’t treat me like a baby, I know you mean a grave for them people that killed themselves.” Yawned Sandy, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

“Sorry Sandy.” Luke apologised.

“Ha you got told.” I laughed at him half-heartedly. “Right!” I declared forcing myself to stand up. “I am now awake and functioning, what needs doing?”

“We should bury that family for starts.” Zak stated from the armchair he was sprawled in.

“Yeah, sooner the better.” I agreed. “Maybe we could have a look at the closest towns, from a safe distance of course.” I added.

“We defiantly need to sort out some better camp protection.” Luke said, glancing through the window at our hastily constructed fencing. I nodded, if a large number of Walkers came our way we would be screwed.

“So, to summarise,” Lily started, “bury the family, protect the camp and a re-con mission to the nearest towns. In that order.”

“Sounds like a plan.” I declared, holding my hand out to Sandy who pulled herself up lightly.

“We could set out some bear traps, so if one of the zombies come our way, it will get trapped and we will find IT before IT finds US.” I smiled at her.

“Good thinking. We’ll have to have a look around this place and maybe there are a some more cabins further down the track we can rummage through.”

“Added to the list.” Lilly called as she headed to the kitchen. “Canned fruit for breakfast!”

“Oh the sugary goodness!” I moaned, it had been so long since I’d had fruit and the sugar water of the cans would make it all the better.

“When are we going to bury those people?” Asked Sandy as we tucked into our food, chatting. Well Maggie wasn’t but there was nothing new there.

“After breakfast?” I answered/questioned. Everyone nodded their agreement.

x-x-x

I opened the moleskin notebook, my hands shook. I’d faced death a lot recently but this was just so much different. I cleared my throat and began to read.

It’s raining. I don’t know why but I feel like I should mention it. These are the last words of the Stint family, and if anyone is reading them then things may still get better for the world we fled from. Though we still don’t regret what we are about to do, or have done I suppose. We couldn’t live like this, none of us could. Merely surviving wasn’t what we wanted for our daughter, Poppy,  and she is just scared all of the time. She has some kind of illness too, not The Virus but something equally life threatening, everyday she gets weaker and weaker. We don’t know how much longer she would have left. Her chest is bad, she coughs all the time and can’t stand very steadily, never mind walk. She’s running a high fever and has been for six days now. We all see that her life is leaving her. That’s partly why we’re doing this, so she won’t have to suffer a long, drawn out death. That and we simply can’t cope anymore. We just can’t live another moment. I feel strangely calm even though I know I’m about to walk to my death. Suddenly death isn’t the worst thing that can happen to a person. So as we walk to the end, we look at the sun as it tries to break through the clouds, we feel the rain hit our clothes and we smile, because we know this is the end of our suffering. To whoever reads this, may God bless you even though he has forsaken us.

How To Survive A Zombie Apocalypseजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें