forty

thank you all for getting this book to 70k reads!! it means a lot that people enjoy reading this :)

"Not gonna lie, I kinda missed the metal arm," I teased Bucky as he moved the metal arm, nudging him with my shoulder as I looked over the design Shuri had made for him.  "You did good, Shuri. Thank you."

"Don't thank me until after I show you the improvements I made on your suit." At that, my head tilted in confusion. I'd never given her my suit. In fact, the uniform had stayed in my closet for the majority of the time I was here in Wakanda. I only took it out when I was visiting Steve and the others just in case I needed to fight.

The girl laughed at my confusion as she led Bucky and I further around the lab to a blank wall with a black paneled table sitting in front of it. She double-tapped the screen, bringing it to life before clicking a few more things, causing the wall in front of us to begin to open. "Bucky gave it to me a few weeks ago."

   I looked up at the man, an eyebrow raised at the information. "You mean the time I sent him to do laundry?" A grin pulled at his lips as I spoke.

He threw his arm around my shoulder and tugged me into his side. "Yes. And you say it like I didn't do the laundry right." I wrapped my arm around his waist with a laugh.

"You turned my white shirt pink because you didn't separate it from the red one," I said playfully. "It looks like the Pink Panther tie-dyed it," I laughed. Shuri chuckled at my reference, but stifled it as soon as James sent the girl a stern look.

"Anyway, this is what I came up with for your suit." Another panel moved in the wall, revealing a black and purple suit that looked similar to my previous one. The suit was mainly black and still had the purple lining that would glow in dimmer lighting, but it had a stretched V shape across the chest that led from the shoulders to the middle. The shape was sewn with purple thread that shimmered in the light. "I kept the main components of the suit, but added vibranium threading. Everything besides the purple lining has vibranium in it. When you're fighting, it should absorb the majority of the hits you take, causing very minimal damage to you."

   I let go of Bucky and walked around the table to inspect the suit further. I ran my fingers over the material. It felt like metal, but felt soft at the same time. "Woah . . ." I looked to the waist of the suit, noticing the tactile belt now had wider compartments.

"The belt compartments were made wider and the thigh holsters can conform to the weapon you place in them," she said.

I dropped my hand to my side and walked back around the table. "You outdid yourself. This is amazing. Last time my suit was upgraded, Tony . . ." I trailed off, no longer wanting to say the words. I went quiet for a moment, clearing my throat and plastering a grateful smile on my face. "Thanks, Shuri—again. We really don't know what we'd do without you." I pull the girl into a small hug.

   "I like designing things for you two. Unlike my brother, you don't complain."

I crossed my arms over my chest as my eyes find the digital clock on her desk. I sigh deeply before looking to the two. "It won't be long before Steve and the others are here."

   "Are you two ready for this?" Shuri asked uncertainly.

   A sad smile comes to my face. "We were made to fight." I glanced to Bucky. "We're always ready."

• • •

   "How we looking?" Natasha's voice could be heard as the group walked beside the king.

   "You will have my Kingsguard, the Border Tribe, the Dora Milaje, and . . ." T'Challa trailed off as he held out a hand, gesturing to Bucky and I as we walked to them.

   "A semi-stable, 100-year-old man," Bucky grinned.

   "And your favorite ex-assassin." I looked past Steve as he pulled Bucky into a hug. "No offense, Nat."

   The woman rolled her eyes and walked over, pulling me into an embrace that I returned earnestly. I hadn't seen any of them in months. "I missed you, too," she muttered. "An old friend of yours decided to turn up, by the way." She let go of me and gestured to the group behind her.

   Bruce Banner stood with his hands clasped in front of him, his hands wringing together unsurely. "It's been a while." I gave the man a smile and embraced him. "Where were you during Sokovia?"

   "On the run," I chuckled, "it's a long story. It's good to see you again, Banner."

   "You, too. How've you been since then?" Bruce let out a small laugh of his own, becoming a bit more comfortable in the new environment.

   "Y'know, staying here with Bucky and laying low," I informed, watching as his forehead creased in confusion.

   "Who's Bucky?"

   Bucky walked over beside me, holding out his metal hand for Bruce to shake. "Bucky Barnes. It's nice to meet you."

Bruce shook his hand and looked in between the two of us. "Oh," he said in a surprised tone, glancing over to Steve then back to us. "You two"—he pointed between Bucky and I—"aw, that's adorable."

   I gave the man an unimpressed look. "I will punch you, Bruce," I tried to threaten, but a small smile tugged at the corner of my mouth that made him laugh. "Whatever. Shut up."

• • •

"I've seen part of what happens in this fight . . . it's not pretty. We can't afford to underestimate this guy. The focus needs to be on the enemy and keeping him from getting what he wants—" I cut myself off. "Wait, what exactly does he want, again?"

   "The Infinity Stones," Steve answered.

   I thought back to when I was on Asgard. Loki and Thor talked about them a lot. The most powerful objects in the universe; space, soul, time, reality, power, and mind.

"Thor had been looking for them the last time I was on Asgard." My eyes drifted to Vision and the bright stone that was placed in the center of his head. "And let me guess, the glowing rock in Vision's head happens to be the Mind Stone," I deadpan.

Sam smirked, crossing his arms over his chest. "Life has a funny way of working out like that."