twenty

Steve was cautious around Bucky and I, as if we were skittish animals that would run away if he got too close.

   Steve looked at me for a moment after I'd spoken, like he couldn't believe that this was real. It had caused a silence that I wanted to break, so I spoke up again. "We weren't in Vienna. We'd never do that anymore."

   "I know." Steve answers. "But the people that think you did are coming right now and I'd rather not have you two killed by them because they don't plan on taking you alive—either of you." He glances to me as he says the last words. Footsteps that echo above us make me briefly look to the ceiling, knowing that they were here.

   "This doesn't have to end it a fight, Buck." He claims, nearly making Bucky laugh as he pulls off the glove that covered his hand.

   "It always ends in a fight."

   "You pulled me from the river. Why?" Steve steps forward, his voice firm as he moves closer to Bucky.

   He shrugs, letting out a sigh, "I don't know."

   "Yes you do." Before anyone can say anything else, a loud crashing noise comes from the window and a grenade rolls onto the floor in front of us. Bucky kicks it to Steve who slams his shield over it to stop the blast.

   More noise comes from people who are trying to break down the door as I duck underneath the mattress as Bucky pulls it up to cover us from the shots being fired.

   Bangs on the door cause me to flick my wrist at the table next to us, making it fly into the door and barricade it. He drops the mattress and we turn to the window as men begin to swing into the room from cables.

   Bucky begins fighting one, picking him up and slamming the cop into the wall while Steve rips a rug out from under another one's feet, making him fly backwards.

   I hold up my hands, letting the purple aura of my power wrap around the men as I lift them into the air and slam them into one another, knocking them unconscious.

   "That works, too." Steve says, but neither of us respond as we move to get our emergency packs from the floor. More men flood into the room and Bucky becomes preoccupied as he fights another, slinging the man onto the balcony and earning himself a scolding from Captain America. "Buck, stop! You're gonna kill someone!"

   Bucky shoves Steve off of him and pins him to the ground. "I'm not gonna kill anyone." He punches into the ground next to him as I use my powers once more to send a few of the men climbing up the side of the building tumbling back down to the bottom.

   Bucky throws both of our bags out of the window and onto the top of a neighboring building.

   Gunfire infiltrates the room again. I drop lower to the ground, trying to not die while Steve holds his shield out in front of Bucky and himself. A gunman runs at my low-positioned figure. I use this to my advantage and ram myself into the man's stomach, using my leverage to flip him over my shoulder and onto the ground. A loud breaking sound resonates behind me and I turn to see Bucky holding a half broken cement brick while a cop fell to the floor right next to me.

   I give him a nod of thanks and continue trying to fight through the cops that just seem to keep on coming. I move next to Buck as someone shoots at the bolts on the door. He doesn't hesitate to punch through the wall, hitting the cop that stood there and knocking him out.

   I swiftly kick the door down, sending it flying into the men that stood behind it. I duck and roll as a cop runs as me and Bucky knocks him down with a kick to his side. I toss him the battering ram that was on the floor and he used it to take down a few more men.