twenty-nine

thank you to everyone who's read this story & got it to 30k! <3

The feeling of warmth spread across my skin as my eyes fluttered open, the bright light momentarily impairing my ability to process my surroundings.

Once adjusted, my eyes focused on a pair of steel blue ones that held a sort of glee within them. "You look really peaceful when you sleep," he commented, his voice deep and slightly raspy.

   His thumb was soft against my cheek and I let myself nestle my head into his hand, earning a chuckle from him.

   I watched the way his eyes crinkled at the sides when he genuinely grinned. He let a small smile stay on his lips as he looked back to me. "What are you staring at?" Bucky questioned, his tone light.

   "You look happy," I respond softly, my words half-muffled by the pillow that I laid on.

   The sunlight filtered through the windows, beautifully illuminating the scene before me. The dark grey sheets were draped over both of us, slightly pulled off the edges of the bed at the end. The light made his skin seem to glow, and with our close proximity, I felt the heat from his body radiate onto mine. It reminded me of the comfort you'd get from a lit fireplace in the wintertime.

   I let my fingers trace over his bare chest, feeling the muscles gently move underneath the skin as I did so. I could feel him watching me; watching my expressions and reactions.

   I looked up from his chest to his face, making eye contact with him. "Take a picture, it'll last longer," I remark, trying to keep a serious face, but failing and letting a smile come to my mouth.

   "Maybe I will." Bucky goes along with my comment, coming back with his own. His hand that rested on my cheek moved up and brushed back a few pieces of my hair. His brow furrowed in thought as his hand relaxed back down on the mattress next to mine. "I never thought things would turn out like this," he voiced, going silent again for a few moments. "I think you would've liked me in the forties," he muttered the thought, his eyes looking into mine for a second before letting his gaze fall back down to the sheets.

His words make me stifle a laugh, to which he gives me a questioning look. I laugh a little, shaking my head. "I like you now."

• • •

"This place is amazing," I gush, the adoration for the country I'd just begun to know showing in my tone. T'Challa had told us to make ourselves comfortable and recommended we see the market and culture Wakanda had to offer.

   James' hand grasped mine as we walked through the streets and immersed into the crowds. For the first time in years, I was at ease; I felt as if I could finally let my guard down, even if it would only be for a little while.

   I looked to him as he glanced around, just taking in everything. I noticed how long his hair had gotten and an idea struck me.

   "Hey," I began, the corner of my lips turning up. "What do you say to a haircut?"

   "Raven, I trust you with my life, but I don't think you're qualified to cut someone's hair," he commented in an apologetic tone, thinking something different than I was. I scoff, lightly smacking his shoulder.

   "Not me. I saw a salon a few minutes ago when we were walking," I explain further. "And by the way, if it were me, I could cut your hair and it'd be great."

• • •

   Steve let a grin come to his face as Bucky and I walked into the room. In that moment I knew that we'd thought the same thing: he looks like he did in the forties. I'd seen the file HYDRA had for him, the black and white pictures of him in the army were ones I remembered seeing for a long time, but only now had they become relevant.

   "I told you it looked good, even Captain America can't stop grinning," I commented playfully, making him squeeze my hand lightly.

   "It's been a long time," Steve excused, shrugging a little. "Wait, did you let Raven cut your hair? I would've been scared."

My jaw slacks a bit at the comment. "Why do both of you not trust me to cut someone's hair?" The two let out a chuckle at my lighthearted offense and I feel myself laugh a bit too. It felt good to be happy like this and not running away from a threat or fighting someone.

   "I'm happy to see that you are all enjoying yourselves." The voice of the king echoed throughout the small room, making us all look towards the entrance. T'Challa gives us a smile, walking further into the room. "I came to personally invite you to dinner tonight with my family. I thought we could talk a few things over while we were there," he explains.

"That sounds great, thank you," Steve smiles lowly, giving him a nod of thanks and respect.

"I'm looking forward to it." T'Challa sends a nod our way before turning to leave. After he does so, I turn to the two in the room with me.

   "I think I'm going to go explore some more," I say to them. Bucky glances to me, a questioning look in his eyes. I make a subtle gesture to Steve, my eyes flickering to him, trying to insinuate that he should spend some time with his long lost best friend. "I'll find you later," I say lowly, reassuring him. I stand on my toes and press a small kiss to his cheek before letting go of his hand. "I'll see you two in a little while," I smile, giving a wave and leaving.

   It would be good for them to spend time together. Not only would it help Bucky, but it would bring some solace to Steve as well, which was much needed in his case. I couldn't imagine what it had been like for him; losing your best friend for seventy years only to find out they're an assassin that doesn't remember who you are can't be easy in the slightest. It had been a whirlwind for everyone, to say the least. It would be good for them to connect again.

   In a world like this, God knows you need every friend you can get.

• • •

"I cannot tell you the hell he gave me for what you did before you left," he called out from the adjoining room. His words made my face tint with pink as a smile tugged at my lips. I poked my head around the doorway of the bathroom, looking to him with a raised eyebrow.

"Just cause I kissed you on the cheek?" I snickered as my hand came over my mouth in an attempt to stifle it. Bucky had been filling me in on what he and Steve did while I was gone. Mostly, they'd caught up and Steve has talked about what being in a new century was like. At one point, he even mentioned that the super soldier tried to explain what Uber was. Now, Bucky was telling about the teasing he had to go through for my actions.

"Yes!" He laughed lowly, causing a feeling of delight to beam through me at the sight. "He said 'I can't believe it, Bucky Barnes actually gets flustered around a girl—" His words make me cut him off as I walk further into the room.

   "Are you saying I made you blush?" I can't help the grin that comes to my face as he tries to avoid my question, which in turn, only answers it. I shake my head lightly with a smile as I fix the sleeves on the casual dress I wore. T'Challa had said that it was a somewhat formal dinner, so I'd found a simple black dress that was form-fitting around my waist and flared out a bit below it.

A knock erupted at the door, turning my attention to it. "It's open," I call out, smoothing my dress as Bucky stands and moves next to me. I look up to him as he adjusts his shirt, fiddling with the top button of the black fabric.

"Here," I say, grabbing it and unbuttoning it. "Just leave it. It looks nice." I glance up and my eyes get caught with his, causing the corner of my mouth to turn up.

"You guys ready—oh gosh. I really need to stop walking in on you two, I'm sorry," Steve apologizes as I turn to face him.

I quirk up an eyebrow as I move to grab my shoes. "We weren't doing anything," I reply, a confused tone in my voice.

"You two were all gazing into one another's eyes or—whatever," Steve lets out a huff, setting his hands on his hips. "You guys ready to go?" His tone has a bold edge to it, making me look up at him with a playful scoff.

   "Well, I hope you don't give the king that much sass at dinner."