thirty

"I think that went fairly well," I remark, pushing a few stray pieces of hair behind my ear. "Everyone got along, I'd say that's a plus," I sigh out, letting myself fall back onto the bed.

I kick my shoes off, letting a comfortable silence take over the room for a while. It had been a good but long day, leaving most of us tired and ready for sleep after dinner. The past few days felt surreal, only adding to the building suspicion in my gut that it wouldn't last as long as we'd like it to.

James sits down on the bed, now in a loose grey t-shirt and black sweatpants. I glance up once I feel him staring at me and give a soft smile. "I'm gonna go change. You want to watch tv when I'm done?" Bucky nods as a response and I sit up, leaving my position and grabbing a few clothing items from the drawer before going to the bathroom to change and brush my teeth.

I lean against the countertop once I'm done, just letting my eyes wander over the reflection. I furrowed my eyebrows as I looked at myself; something was off. I cocked my head to the side, trying to figure out what it was. I let out a breath, turning on the faucet and letting water pool in my hands before splashing it on my face. I grappled for the nearby hand towel, patting my face dry. As I looked up into the mirror, my eyes flashed with their lavender color like when I'd use my powers, but a gold began to swirl beneath them.

"What the hell—" My words of confusion are cut off as flashes of white blind me.

My eyes opened and I looked around. I was in a field that led to a small forest. I'd recognized my surroundings after a moment as a field that we flew over in the jet once we'd arrived in Wakanda.

A breeze blew my unsecured hair over my face momentarily. Everything around me was quiet. As I looked across the field, people came into view; soldiers fought against . . . nothing? They swung their weapons at the air, clearly seeing something I couldn't. I moved quickly, running towards them. "Hey," I shout. "Hey! What the hell is going on?" My attention is cut short as the loud noise of an aircraft makes me look up.

The sky was clear in a mere second, making me look back down, now only to find myself in the forest with my teammates surrounding me. I looked to my left, seeing Steve panting heavily with wounds across his face. "Eyes up," he said, holding up a shield and extending part of it. "Stay sharp."

My head pounded and it caused me to cringe and reach for it. I fell to my knees as my eyes shut tightly. A horrid feeling of dread spread through my stomach and made me shiver. The pain it caused was immense and I wasn't used to it. My mouth opened and a scream left my body as hot tears escaped my shut eyes and flowed down my cheeks.

Unknown voices echoed around in my head, clouding over my every thought, some were louder than others, but they all gave the same emotion: fear. A fear that crawled up and made the hairs on the back of your neck raise. It was a conniving and unrelenting anxiety of something unspeakably terrible happening.

It felt like death.

My eyes shot open as I took a sharp breath in. I shuddered as I glanced up, seeing James standing over me with a worried look covering his face. I must have fallen when I blacked out.

I met his eyes as my vision clouded over with tears. I shook my head, grabbing my knees and pulling them to my chest. The tears that built up poured down my face as I involuntary began rocking back and forth. The feeling didn't leave with what must have been a premonition of some sort. It carved into my chest like a knife and it made me shake as sobs racked my body.

He grabbed me and leaned back against the cabinet under the sink as he pulled me onto his lap. His arms wrapped around me tightly and I allowed my body to be enveloped by his. He rubbed my arm, trying to sooth and calm me down. "Shh," he tries. "It's okay, it's okay. You're here. You're okay, Raven."