٣٠

"Just a little bit more," I whispered pinching the shard and pulling it out from the main artery.

"Oh my God, Laila!"

I whirled around, my sleeves rolled up, hair tied up in a rough bun under my veil, arms covered in blood. Zaynab gagged and turned away, her face screwed up in disgust.

"Meet me when you're done," she muttered almost running out of the infirmary. I turned to look at Sanaa, who had an unabashed amused look on her face.

"Finish this up and ask Uncle Yaqoob to give him the medicine I'd asked him to prepare," Sanaa nodded, her eyes still full of mirth. Giving my arms a quick wash, I went out to meet Zaynab, who stood near the window, her eyes filled with excitement as she gazed out towards the city.

"Our lunch isn't due to start for at least another two hours," I said, walking towards her, fixing my hair, her tinkling laugh bringing a smile to my face, a rarity nowadays.

"Prepare to be off for some weeks," I looked up, not understanding her meaning. "Baba received word that Mehmet and Ali are on their way to the Palace. It took them five months, but they won! I am to be married soon,"I stared at her, my mouth agape."Isn't that exciting?"

He was coming back, after five months. My chest constricted at the thought and the familiar feeling of anticipation crawled up my spine. I was going to see him. After all this time.

"When?" I whispered. Zaynab gave me a pitying look and I looked away. I could not be angry with her. Zaynab had done so much to be a bastion of strength for me. To offer understanding and support, when no one else had dared to do so. She wasn't unaware of the distance between Ali and I, but was completely clueless about the cause.

"This afternoon."

We stood in the Palace balcony, awestruck at the sight in front of us. It seemed as if the whole city had turned up to celebrate and welcome their victorious Prince as he rode on his fearsome black stallion. Rose petals were showered in the streets giving the new Seljuk ruler and the future Emir of Cairo a fitting red carpet.

The procession entered the Palace gates and a familiar pair of hazel eyes met mine across the courtyard. And there was no more fear. No more worry. No more judgment. He was here. In front of me.

My knees no longer shook. My heart steadied in my chest.

In that moment of perfect balance, I understood. This peace? These worries silenced without effort?

It was because we were two parts of a whole. He did not belong to me. And I did not belong to him. It was never about belonging to someone.

It was about belonging together.

I smiled and rocked back on my heels. He was back. Safe and sound. Now, everything was going to be alright.

A whizz in the air had me stumbling back into the balcony. A perfectly aimed arrow arched its way towards Ali and embedded itself in his chest, right where his heart was.

His eyes flew open in shock. My scream died on my lips as he stared at me, his hands jerking on his reins.

The world seemed to be suspended in time.

Shouts of alarm rang out from the guards.

For a moment all I could do was stare and force myself to breathe, dragging down oxygen while razor-sharp fear tore through me. My heart missed a beat. Then crashed through my chest on a rampage.

Ali slipped off his horse and I fell to my knees.

With a clamoring heart I watched pandemonium erupt, as everything slowed down.