٢٠

The sun's rays zig-zagged on the lustrous shine of the sandstone walls and the bright paints of the Islamic ornaments. A thick carpet ran the entire length of the hall, the luminous threads entangled in floral patterns.

I should have gone straight to my room.

Both Hamza and Ayesha had been dispatched to prepare for the dinner tonight. I hadn't missed the gleam in Hamza's eyes as he'd escorted her towards the kitchens, his chest puffed out. That would keep them busy for the next few hours.

I had asked Baba to meet me after his meeting with the Caliph, deciding to take the time to do some sleuthing. I knew that staying in my room was not going to provide me with any answers.

Ali might take some time to tell his side of the story, but Afet was more than willing to divulge information. Haleema had been oh so kind to send her a message and she had been more than willing to accept.

My satin clad feet made no noise as I hastily made my way to the meeting point. I'd asked Haleema to stay back as a lookout and she'd agreed, albeit reluctantly. Footsteps sounded and I snuck behind a large column, pasting myself against the solid structure.

"Are you sure she's in our camp?" The voice was male, and they were speaking Turkish. Seif?

My Turkish was rusty, I hadn't spoken much after Mother's untimely demise, and I was straining to understand the words.

"She's a Turkish princess," Afet! I would know her voice anywhere. "With Egyptian and Syrian ancestry."

"What do you think she'd want to know?"

"About the Prince," the footsteps came closer.

"Do you think she'll believe you? Why would she have stayed with him if she had any doubts about him? You told her she's a murderer and she crawled into bed with him!"

"Watch your tongue Seif, she's your future Queen."

"Who might give birth to someone else's child!"

"She won't. I'm sure of that," Haleema had been busy.

"And you're okay with it? Okay knowing that Mehmet will be married to her?" What did that mean? Were they... lovers?

"It was always going to be that way."

They were standing right in front of me now. My heart thudded loudly and I tried to focus on relaxing my muscles. "You're stronger than I gave you credit for."

"She's important to Mehmet and to our cause. She has to know about her husband's actions. It's our obligation to tell her, we're her subjects." The doors swung open with a loud groan.

They were in the library now.

Fixing my appearance, I stepped into the corridor and entered the library.

"Salaam," They turned around, their postures tense, eyes on the floor.

"Salaam Princess."

"Please, have a seat," I waited. "I supposed I should start by why I've asked you here."

"You should know that someone will alert your husband," Seif muttered, his hands clasped in front of him.

"Of a chance meeting in a library? I've no doubt," I was counting on it.

"You're very sure," Afet remarked, her eyes filled with curiosity.

"Yes, now, before we get interrupted, what was so important that you had to nick my shoulder that fateful day?"

Seif rubbed the back of his neck, his face going red. "I..."

"We wanted to get you for a few seconds," Afet interrupted, her gaze inscrutable.