۸

Upon this morning's tray was a steaming stack of fluffy flatbreads sprinkled with sesame seeds, a bowl of blushing apricots, and several of the ground pistachio pastries with cardamom cream that I was beginning to like.

The scent of minty green tea rose from the copper kettle and I breathed it in. Last night had been a success. He'd reluctantly agreed to let me go, but only with a guard and my handmaidens, which I thought of as a win.

Dodging any kind of supervision was my childhood hobby. Smiling to myself, I tore a small piece of bread and put it in my mouth. Whatever my feelings about this marriage, the palace chef fell into the pros category.

Ayesha and Haleema moved around the room, arranging my outfit, and getting ready to leave. They'd been scared out of their wits yesterday but had calmed down when Ali had strode past them, ignoring their guilty expressions.

"Mind if I join you?" My eyes swept up and I stumbled back in shock.

What was he doing here? "Of course," I muttered, gesturing for another tray to be brought in.

"No need, Hamza has my breakfast," Ali answered, not taking his eyes off me. My throat constricted. Why was he here?

Ayesha went out of the room grabbing his breakfast. Haleema arranged for another table to be placed and once they'd completed their tasks, they exited, leaving us alone.

"It's... unexpected to see you here husband," Husband? Prince? Sayidi? What was I supposed to call him?

His mouth twitched and he poured out his tea. A military man through and through. "As I was told yesterday, I haven't spent much time with my lovely wife," my cheeks warmed up.

"And I thank you for your presence here, but..."

"I am aware that you'll be leaving for the Bazaar soon. As any good husband would do, I've decided to accompany you," my bread fell on the tray with a muted plop. He raised an eyebrow, his eyes lighting up with curiosity.

I gaped at him like one of the fishes caught by the fishermen in the Nile. My first instinct was to extricate myself from the situation.

"That's really not necessary."

"Oh, I think it is. It's a good way to get to know one another," get to know one another? What had I done?

"That's true but the Bazaar is hardly a place to get to know one's partner don't you think? Perhaps over dinner?"

"We can do that too," what was going on? "Besides, it'll be a short trip," now he was shortening the time?

My face fell and I nodded, defeated. I could have bypassed the guard and my handmaidens, but not him. I was not foolish enough to believe I could dodge him. At this point, I might as well send a message to Sanaa and tell her that I couldn't come.

"You don't seem too happy about it..." my heart fluttered and I swallowed.

"I was planning a visit to my Father and since the trip would be short, I'm sad that I wouldn't get to see him"

"We can visit him on the way back." At my astonished look, he paused his eating. "Is there a problem?" I forced the smile on my face.