۲

The rays of light streamed through the windows onto the carpeted floor like veins of raw gold stretched thin in the heat of the early morning sun. Someone yelled out in anguish and my eyes flew open.

Sanaa rushed into my room just as I threw the silk covers off of my body, my feet sinking into the richly carpeted floor, running through the enormous bedchamber. She grabbed my arms checking to see if I was hurt. I patted her arms before leaning back on my palms to stretch my neck.

More shouts echoed from the hall and Sanaa helped get me ready. What was going on? We managed to wrangle my hair under control just as my father burst into the room, eyes wild, his turban in his hands.

"Baba," I whispered as Sanaa bowed her head. With a flick of his wrist, Sanaa was dismissed, closing the door behind her. "What's going on?"

"I've received a letter"

"Yes?"

"Your mother's cousin and his family were killed while they were traveling from the capital"

The blood seemed to leave my body. "But..."

"The Sultan's heirs are dead," I collapsed on the floor cushions.

"Where's Mehmet?" The heir. The actual heir to the throne. The remaining son.

He ran his hand through his hair, his mouth pressed in a harsh line."On his way to the capital. He's struggling to make alliances. Several of the Sultan's other sons have decided to rally their troops," that would mean... "They have not forgotten about you. They'll ask for you in a day or two. My sources told me they might have you married to one of the other sons, to prove their legitimacy," I raised a hand to my mouth, fighting the bile in my throat. To be shipped away, like cattle. And that too, to an illegitimate contender!

"What do we do?" he sat down next to me, his face reflecting the worry on mine. "They killed my mother, they might kill me too... Baba! What if they force this? What if the Caliph decrees that I should leave?" my voice rose up and he hushed me, his tone placating. "Where would I go? Where would we go?" my life seemed to be forfeit.

"I won't let them take you away from me. I've thought of a solution but promise me, my child, promise me that you'll do as I say," I stared at him, not understanding his words. "I've sent a missive to the palace. The Caliph is due to arrive today from Baghdad. I will discuss my plan with him and hopefully, he'll see reason, my child. He'll want to keep you here..."

"As a political pawn. Until they figure out who takes the throne"

He raised his head, his gaze hard and focused."As the jewel of his palace"

The whole world seemed to have stopped. Baba had gone to the palace to receive the Caliph. I lay across the floor cushions, my hair sprawled across the material. My whole life hinged on a single decision.

"Don't be so glum. He'll agree..." Sanaa muttered, running her hand through my hair. I sat up watching the inky waterfall flow with my movements.

"And I'll be confined to another cage. Surrounded by the same men who've made the very rules I'm running from"

She tsked. "It's either that or running for your life. What do you think the Emir would prefer?"

"What did he mean, a jewel of the palace? My father would not ask me to be a part of the Harem, would he?" Sanaa shook her head, her gaze was unconvincing. "What else could he mean?"

Sanaa shuffled forward. "I heard the guards talking. The Emir wants you to marry one of the princes"

I let out a short laugh."The Caliph would never agree. I'm just the daughter of an Emir"