١٤

"Mehmet? That Turkish contender?" Zaynab asked, interest flickering in her face for the first time. "Laila's cousin?"

"And her ex-fiancé," Amina added, her tone vicious. I hid my shock at the statement when I saw all eyes turn to me.

"Why is he coming here, Baba?" Khalid asked his eyes on his brother. I shifted, watching Amina's eyes shift to Ali, her face set in a polite mask.

He was coming for me. I knew it. My eyes swept up to meet the Caliphs. He knew it.

I didn't dare my turn my head to look at my husband, suddenly afraid. Not for me. I knew he would not hurt me. But Mehmet? I wasn't so sure.

"Why do you think? He needs allies to prove that he's the rightful heir to the Ottoman throne."

I shivered. My father had secured us both a bright future. Both of us were royalty and our bloodline was safe. My marriage with the Prince would have solidified his claim. His connections through me would secure his alliances with the rest of the world.

But I knew Mehmet.

I knew the gentle, mischief loving boy. He was a skilled courtier. He was a warrior but he wasn't coming to gain alliances for his war, he was coming here for me.

I stared at my in-laws, knowing that he was walking into a trap. The Abbasids had longed to conquer Constantinople. Now Mehmet was their key to putting a puppet ruler on the throne.

My panicked gaze bounced around the room, watching the gears work in Khalid's mind, seeing Amina straighten up, her hand on her stomach and the Caliph's eyes shine.

A sudden new fear took root. What if they killed him? Just to align themselves with the other side?

They wouldn't give me up, I had yet to give Ali an heir. Giving me up would also lead to a possible war with all of the Turks.

I had two major problems on my hand right now. I had to warn Mehmet and I had to get on birth control, immediately.

"You're his cousin! Ali and you will be ready to welcome him. I'm handing the reins to you daughter, your family is visiting the Palace. Do what you must to make him comfortable." I nodded, my heart racing with a new realization.

This whole thing was a test. For me. For Mehmet. And our loyalties. None of those around me seemed at all surprised by this announcement.

"I can help!" Zaynab cried out. I gave her a small smile, feeling the band around my heart tighten, accepting her sincere offer.

"If I may ask, when will he be arriving tomorrow?" I asked. The Caliph looked up, surprised.

"He and his men have camped a day away and would arrive in Cairo by sunset. A lavish dinner would be appropriate for his arrival."

A day away? There was no way his spies had not told him about Mehmet's impending arrival. Even my father would have known.

Understanding dawned and I lowered my face to hide it.

This whole meeting was a farce. An official announcement. Ali shifted on his feet, and I swallowed the bile crawling up my throat. He had to know. As the General, he had to know of Mehmet's arrival.

The attackers yesterday!

I bit my lip to stop myself from crying out loud. My fingers dug into the palm of my hand and I forced my body to relax. They'd been in the city for a reason. To warn me? To threaten me? Or to spy for Mehmet?

Whatever the reason, they were the ones I needed to listen to for now. I needed to warn Mehmet, and I knew whom to contact.

Zaynab and I exited the room together, discussing the details of the dinner tomorrow.