١٣

Sometime later that day, a noise stirred me from sleep. I was on my side, and a long, warm body was wrapped around mine. One leg was thrust between my thighs, and I was tangled in someone's arms.

I shot up, confused. The feeling of skin against skin, the rough, short hairs against my flesh, the muscled arm under my head, and the warm breath glancing off my cheek. I turned to see my husband, sprawled next to me, heavily asleep, his body relaxed on top of mine. A light knock sounded at the door and I panicked, grabbing the sheets and pulling them over us.

Ali shifted behind me, lifting his head as the sound came again. Carefully, he slipped his leg out from between mine. He stilled for a second, meeting my eyes, a faint smile on his lips. His fingertips coasted down my arm in a comforting gesture, as he eased himself free, making sure the pillow had replaced his arm under my head.

A sleepy, pleased smile tugged at my lips as I watched him drag his sirwal over his legs, answering the door without his shirt on. I stared at his back, deciding that I liked him this way.

My warrior prince.

He opened the door, making sure to keep me blocked and out of sight. I pressed my lips together at the strange, dull ache between my legs. I waited for the panic to set in, but nothing happened. The concern and the fear seemed to have evaporated from my body last night.

I sighed and rolled away, trying to give him some privacy. After a minute, I heard the soft groan of the door being shut and felt him come back to the bed, his body hovering over mine.

"Laila," I turned around, watching a tendril of his hair flop down on his forehead. "How are you feeling?" I stretched my body slowly, feeling sore.

"A little sore," I whispered. His fingers brushed my forehead and he grimaced.

"Was I too rough? I should have taken it slow..."

A blush heated my cheeks and I shifted to avoid his observant gaze. "No you were... it was fine."

He let out a low dark chuckle. "I certainly hope that it was more than just fine." He reached down, catching a strand of hair and brushing it back from my face.

"Is everything okay?"

"Baba has summoned us. Hamza said he's got something important to tell us."

I moved to get up, wincing at the sudden movement. Ali's hands drifting over me, his eyes concerned. "When?" I asked shifting to sit up, my hand holding the sheets to my body.

Ali's eyes flashed with heat. "As soon as they clear the halls," He growled, his palm coming to cup my cheek.

I bit my lip and looked at him from underneath my lashes. "What do we do till then?"

"I've got some ideas."

I was very careful in making sure that I walked like I usually walked, trying hard not to show how fully and completely I'd been ravished by my husband, not once but twice in the last three hours. He had quite the stamina.

Ali walked beside me, one hand on the hilt of his sword, another on the small of my back, his eyes alert.

The palace was bursting with activity. Servants moved around sweeping away the after-effects of the storm, objects that had been hidden away were now being placed in their original places, windows were being opened and the last of the evening rays were being let in.

We were led to the Caliph's private chambers, making sure to wait outside before we were announced.

Ali walked in, his fingers brushing mine and I followed, my heart leaping in my chest. This seemed so new, so fragile. Like it could break in an instant.

We walked into the private study, our faces blank and our shoulders back. The Caliph gave us a welcoming smile, his gaze warm.

Zaynab sat on one of the bigger cushions, her back to the wall, and greeted us with a wink.

"Glad to see you're out and about. Khalid and Amina still haven't opened their doors,"Zaynab snorted and I forced my expression to stay neutral.

"You had some news Baba?"

The Caliph waved his arm languidly, ignoring Ali and looked at me. "How are you feeling daughter? How's that shoulder?"

"Much better," I answered with a smile.

"Ali told your father of the incident. He was worried about you. He wanted to meet you as soon as possible, I told him to come at his convenience," I nodded graciously. He was the Emir of the City. It was his job to have kept me safe. Panic and anxiety churned in my stomach.

"Are we the last ones here? Even later than the love birds?" Khalid boomed, walking into the room, Amina in tow. "Salaam Baba," he greeted giving his father's hand a kiss. Amina gave us all a sedated nod, dressed as opulently as ever.

"Good. Now that you're all here, I've got some news to share with you," everyone except Zaynab stood up straight, their eyes on the Caliph.

He picked up a half-open letter and brandished it in the air. "Ali's marriage has opened up new avenues for us. Avenues that may have seemed impossible before," confusion swept through me. Ali tensed next to me and I looked at him not understanding his reaction. New avenues?

"What is it, Baba?" Khalid asked, his eyes flicking towards me, his face impassive, taking a seat.

The Caliph turned to me, his eyes unreadable as he handed me the letter. "Mehmet is coming to visit us tomorrow."

My heart plummeted to the ground.

Shorter chapter, I know, but the next ones are going to be a wild ride :D Next update this Saturday!