۵

I was led to a beautifully decorated pavilion, lined with thick embroidered carpets and plush cushions. The wooden structure seemed to be perched over a clear pool, suspended in the air. My eyes widened at the marvel, almost missing the calculating looks on the faces of the two ladies already seated.

The older of the two, I guessed to be Amina, Prince Khalid's wife, was dressed in green. With her Grecian beauty and her hair hanging down her face in ringlets, she looked like a Greek nymph. I brushed a hand over my clothing, feeling overdressed.

The second one, dressed in peacock blue, gave me a bright smile and a small curtsey. I took in a deep breath. She was the Caliph's youngest daughter and the only one who was currently unmarried.

I plastered a polite smile on my face and gave her a warm look.

The people sitting around the table were seasoned players. All of them were extremely adept at controlling their expressions and moods. I, however, was not.

I stepped forward and Shehzadi Zaynab clasped my arm, dragged me to my place, her mouth curving into a small smile.

"Welcome sister! It's so nice to meet you," I inclined my head at her enthusiasm

"Yes, welcome! It's a shame we could not welcome you properly, like a bride. The wedding happened in such haste." Resentment seethed in her eyes. "We weren't even asked to attend. I don't know what Baba was thinking," she added, her face fixed in a carefully modulated smirk.

Ooh, I had to be careful.

Zaynab rolled her eyes."Oh shush. There couldn't have been a better way to get Ali married," she leaned towards me, her eyes dancing with mischief. "He rejected every proposal that came to him, we can see why," Zaynab finished, seating herself across her, elegantly folding herself onto a cushion. "Don't mind Khalid's wife, she has three children. She's bitter beyond belief," she whispered as I took my place beside her.

My lips twitched and I refocused my gaze on the low tables, admiring the craftsmanship. Being the Emir's daughter, I had grown up surrounded by luxury but being here, in the palace, everything seemed to have been amplified by a thousand.

Before anyone could make a feeble attempt at small talk, the sound of stomping feet had us scrambling upwards.

The Caliph entered our line of sight, his clothes flowing in the wind, his stride confident.

This was the first time I was seeing the Caliph during the day. My eyes took him in. He was an attractive man with a strong jaw, greying hair, and a meticulously styled beard. I could see the charisma and power in his stature. A shiver went through me. He wasn't a man to be trifled with.

A true King.

His two son's followed, their gazes hard, their hands on their swords. My heart clenched at the blank expression on my husband's face, so different from the one last night.

Huh, the Calipha wasn't here. Interesting.

Prince Khalid stopped in front of me, awaiting an introduction. I did not bow, remembering the lesson from yesterday, my eyes flicking towards my husband. His mouth twitched but his face remained the same as before.

I moved my gaze from my husband to meet the amused scrutiny of my new brother, his face set in a warm, affable expression. He was trim and appeared in good health, with a deceptively warm set of dark brown eyes. His charcoal-colored mantle was exquisitely embroidered at its collar and hem, and the sword at his hip had a burnished hilt of solid gold.

"Salaam Baba," Zaynab greeted, breaking the awkward silence, giving her father a short bow and a side hug. "Khalid," she acknowledged and my brows furrowed at the informal address. Prince Khalid's eyes crinkled and he gave her a sweet smile. My heart ached at the gesture. I'd never had any siblings and due to my father's paranoia, I hadn't had many friends. "Ali! Won't you introduce your wife?"