٢٢

"Well, I should head out now. I've got lots to do tomorrow..." I sighed.

Finally, after thirty minutes, they were done with their argument. Safe to say, Zaynab hadn't let Ali get a word in edgewise. If I wasn't so agitated, I would have enjoyed their conversation.

I shuffled around in my chambers, sitting up and reaching for the beautiful shamla draped on a stool nearby. I slid my arms into the lustrous brocade and tied the silver laces, twisting the fall of my dark hair so that it hung over one shoulder, before moving to join them.

"Good night Zaynab," I called out, just as she slipped out. She waved goodbye and closed the door firmly behind her.

And then there were two.

Ali stared at me, his eyes blank, unreadable, ringed in deep lines of fatigue. His jaw was set in a harsh line, his posture rigid.

I was waiting for him to say the words. For him to talk to me, to tell me how he felt. He certainly didn't look like he wanted to be here. He didn't look sorry for hurting me.

I met his gaze with stinging circumspection. He blinked, sighed and then turned away, dragging his shirt over his head. Something knifed in my chest, behind my heart.

I had to focus. I couldn't let him distract me.

"Where were you?" I asked, trying to control the tremor in my voice. He strode towards me, his eyes fixed on my face.

"Not where I should have been."

The combination of his words and his proximity had my traitorous heart almost leaping out of my chest.

"The past two nights..."

His breath fanned on my skin as he bent toward my ear. "I was not where I wanted to be."

"Do you have any idea, how you've humiliated me? How you've hurt me?" He bowed his head, his forehead creasing. I placed my hands on his bare chest and his heart thumped under my palm, his skin warm, solid.

"Why did you do that Ali?" When he put his hands on my wrists to free himself, I merely clasped tighter, refusing to let go.

"You know why." I blinked back tears. "You put me in that vulnerable position Laila, you tried to manipulate me..."

"I didn't mean to..."

"But you did."

"And you did the same," His eyes flicked across my face before responding.

"I am just a man, Laila," there it was. The same wary way he'd said it to me in the gardens so long ago.

I stood up straighter to face him. "Then be a man who makes amends."

His face darkened and the veil of dispassion disappeared, only deepening the lines on his face.

"I'm sorry."

I shrugged. "It's a small start, but a start, nevertheless."

"I'm sorry, so very sorry..." my heart ached at the distress on his face.

"I'm sorry too," I breathed out. "I should not have done that." He nodded, his eyes pained.

"Can we not talk to each other now? Will you not tell me? Didn't you say that you couldn't bear it if I hid from you?" I grasped his hands in mine, pulling him closer. "I can't bear it if you hid from me, Ali..."

He paused, his hands shakingly coming to rest on my shoulders. "You deserve to know the truth."

"Then tell me," His reaction was scaring me.