Married

Ankita POV:

This was not what I wanted.

I was confident that I would be doing a master's this year and not a marriage. It was all too sudden that I was not able to comprehend what was happening around me.

My identity, name, house everything changed in a day. My world was so small until yesterday. Now I no longer belong to my parents but to a stranger. I'm no longer Ms. Ankita but Mrs. Ankita Raghav. I was very happy and content to just have my parents and my best friend Krithi and never asked for any unwanted addition to my close circle. At least not yet.

So all this started when I returned home from college after completing my last semester exam. Raghav, that unwanted addition's parents were seated comfortably in our house's living room sofa, speaking or more like giggling something to my parents. I soon realized this conversation was that one conversation every single girl dreaded about. I don't know about all girls but I'm sure about me. This is where everyone's face glows with smiles except for the concerned person's.

My parents were always fun and friendly. I haven't told them about my plans for a master's degree yet. Maybe that's why they're making plans for my marriage. I thought it was just a matter of time to say no and my parents would agree to it.

I signalled my mom to come inside and she excused herself from the group. She followed me into my room.

"What's all this mom? I'm just 22 and you're planning to marry me off, now itself?"

"Ok then, tell me when? Will 60 be okay for you? You're educated and you must be knowing what is the legal age for marriage in India."

" This is not something to make fun of, mom. Please I don't want to get married now. I want to do my master's and get a job." I raised my voice a little to make clear I'm serious.

"You can study if you really want to." She paused and then continues, "but after marriage dear. Ask your husband. He might understand but I've to tell you that their family is well enough to feed you. You needn't go for a job."

"First of all I'm not yet married and I don't have any husband. And for the next, Is that even possible mom? What if he doesn't allow?"

You know those conversations where you argue putting forth valid reasons but the other person is only concentrated on putting forth their argument and not giving a shit about ours?

It is what is happening here.

"Then tell me what is your dream? Do you have one? Simply studying something and going for a job you don't dream of, is something worse than getting married." She spoke as if she was concerned about me going to a job I don't dream of but I was clever enough to see through her. She wants me to get married and this alliance seems good in her eyes.

I didn't know what to tell her then. Should I tell her that I had a dream but I had to let go because it was dangerous and I didn't want her to worry about me? I still remember how she panicked when I told her I wanted to be a pilot. If in case she was healthy and strong and not as an asthma patient I would have definitely gone against her wish to accomplish my dream. But at that time my mom seemed more important to me.

"Will you marry me off even if I don't want it, mom?" I whined, unable to put forth a witty argument. My vision blurred due to the freshly formed tears. I tried attacking her motherly emotions.

"Whoever you're going to marry, you will be hesitant at first. As time passes you will start loving them and I promise you dear, this is a good alliance. They own the RR Enterprise dear and your husband to be is its CEO."

"But I'm not yet prepared for something like that mom. I'm scared." A tear escaped my left eye and rolled down touching my nose.

"I can understand you very well dear. Every woman crosses this path in their life. Even I was hesitant to marry your dad at first. But I've never regretted it until now. And I'm sure you wouldn't too. Trust me, dear. You've got two months. I'll give you his number. Get to know him and prepare yourself for it. You know your parents are getting old and I don't think I'm going to live for so long. Please dear I want to see you get married before that."

"Oh please don't ever utter such nonsense again mom. Now you want me to get married, isn't it? Ok, go on with your preparations."

I tried attacking her motherly emotions but what was attacked was my daughterly emotions.

_________________

"Ankitaaaaa" I came back to my senses when I heard Krithi's voice. So here I am seated in a BMW's backseat beside my unwanted addition. My father was seated in the front and Krithi to my left. My mom and my in laws were in the car behind. I am jealous of my mom that she took no time to get close with my in laws. Two months passed by quickly and I waited for Raghav to text me first but he never did. So I came to a conclusion that he doesn't like me either. We saw each other only during wedding shoppings, pre-wedding rituals and at the wedding. The highest communication we had was passing glances at each other. I hoped when I told yes to my mom, that the other person in the marriage would convince me that it is not a big deal. I wanted him to give me a little hope and courage. But I didn't see any help from his side. I waited for a month thinking he will text. When he didn't, I gave up and married him only out of my trust on parents.

These thoughts made my stomach somersault out of anxiety. I was pissed off that the reason behind all this was the person beside me.

"Douchebag" I muttered under my breath. Suddenly I felt him looking my way but I didn't have the courage to turn my head and confirm it. The rest of the car drive was silent like it was before. Krithi was busy with her phone posting in Insta the wedding pictures and my dad was clueless on what to talk about.

Is this really a wedding or a funeral? I wish my marriage life was a YouTube ad so that I can skip it after five seconds.

Now when I think about it, what were all the reasons that I didn't want to get married?

1. I wasn't ready.

2. I don't know this man.

3. I'm scared because I studied in a girls only school and college and I'm not comfortable with guys and moreover the maximum contact I've ever had with a male was hugging my dad, that too very rarely.

4. I wanted to get a job.

5. I've got too many comfort zones even inside my home. I sleep in only a particular side of my bed. I use only my washroom. I brush my teeth stuffing my face with paste bubbles and most importantly I like to drink only the water which comes to my area and hate other area's water because I find it salty or bland. How in the hell am I going to adjust myself in someone else's house?

6. Or you could simply say that I had watched too many Korean dramas that I always fancied a love marriage and my expectations of love and men are extremely high.

The car pulled in front of a big black gate. The doors were opened by the watchman and we drove inside to see a large mansion painted white, grey, and black, screaming richness. This is where I'm going to spend the rest of my life.

I hope I survive here and for that, I need to impress and befriend my mother in law Mrs.Priya Anand, as I would be spending more time with her at home.

Reaching out my right leg I entered the mansion with fingers crossed for my married life. Wish me luck, please!