CHAPTER 3 - Rose Bowl Stadium

An appointment with the stylist turns into a three-hour stay inside a foggy room where the only thing you can breathe is chemicals and the stench of burned hair

An appointment with the stylist turns into a three-hour stay inside a foggy room where the only thing you can breathe is chemicals and the stench of burned hair. Surprisingly, however, the woman fixing your hair turns out to be really good at her job.

You leave the beauty shop with shiny long hair that has been given a cute wave at the end. Jesse, on the other hand, has her hair half braided and half loose. There are a few small, rhinestone hair clips in between the braids that make her look like she's back in her teenage years.

The two of you stop at Jesse's house to eat a quick bite and put make-up on.

Jesse insists on applying Korean make-up on your face with actual Korean products she's been collecting over the last few months thanks to Amazon. You say no at first but the girl is determined to see it through, so, with no other choice you end up forcefully agreeing to her request.

Staring at your reflection after the whole ordeal, you're pretty surprised and pleased with the results. Why? Because you're half Korean but your eyes are not 'Asian enough' for a few Asian communities. Your sister and brother earned more Asian features than you did. Although you have the soft, pale skin and straight black hair, your eyes always make people confused. As if something as insignificant as facial features mattered in he first place...

Depending on the make-up you wear, you can pass for an actual Korean or American. Jesse says it's an advantage but you don't see it that way. You were often teased because of it when you were younger. Although it hasn't bother you over the years, the memories are still too vivid to ignore.

Shaking your head, you spin around and stumble upon a horrendous sight. "Holy shit," you blurt out before covering your mouth.

"What? I look good, right?" Jesse spins around with her simple dress. The clothes she bought in Forever 21 is not the problem. It's the dozens of BTS merch items she's wearing on top of it. 

You really can't help but cringe at the sight.

"Y-yeah, you do" you reply, avoiding eye contact.

The two of you say goodbye to Jesse's mother and get inside your car, an Isuzu Rodeo 2004

The two of you say goodbye to Jesse's mother and get inside your car, an Isuzu Rodeo 2004. You pull into the driveway and begin your slow journey towards the Rose Bowl Stadium with Jesse acting as DJ. Of course, she turns up the volume of her phone and plays one of her BTS playlists.

You wonder how she knows all the lyrics to the songs while you don't, even though you're half-Korean.

The nearer you are to the stadium the bigger the traffic increases. Bummer, at least a third of the cars up ahead are going to the concert as well... Sighing, you resign yourself to wait patiently until you reach the entrance.

You lower your window once you're beside the pay booth but instead of paying the fee, you show your police ID. The security guard looks at it and lifts the rising arm barrier, letting you pass. Before you cross, he tells you to go to the west section, where you'll find a small private lot to park.

Following the guard's instructions, you park in a private, closed section. Another security guard provides you and Jesse with an ID pass. It's a red lanyard with an ID card holder that has the word 'Security' in it. How original. The two of you are guided to a side entrance, where you are left alone to find your way around.

"Wow, who knew that having a police friend would help in cutting lines," Jesse cackles, earning a nudge from your elbow.

A guy wearing something similar to a security uniform stops you. He looks at the ID pass and tells the two of you to follow him.

The three of you enter a room whose windows have been covered with black curtains. As you step in, looking at the small step that divides the inside from the outside, you notice a rustle of movement. Glancing up, you freeze momentarily. There are at least two dozens of people who are in the process of putting on uniforms and hiding weapons in the inside pockets of their clothes.

None pay any attention to you, which you are grateful for. Because you have no idea of what to do. Not when there are so many armed men and women in a single room looking like they're ready to commit murder.

The guy that brought you in appears with two Glock 43X's and two hand-radios, similar to walkie-talkies. You take one of each with a stoic face and stare at Jesse from the corner of your eye, worried that she'll do something that will attract unwanted attention. Thankfully, she grabs both things with a stolid gaze.

As quickly as possible, the two of you leave the room in distress. Jess grips your arm as you force her to keep walking. It's better to be out of earshot before discussing what just happened.

Once out of range, you stop. Jesse is almost hyperventilating as you take the gun from her hand and put it inside your black, chained shoulder bag with quilted leather. "You okay?" you ask once the two guns are tucked away. She gives you a frightened look and shakes her head furiously. "Right, umm, well... I don't really know what to say. Just, don't freak out. Take a deep breath." You tell her while making dilatory movements to help her breathe.

Her chest inflates as she begins to inhale then flattens as she exhales repeatedly. Then her eyes clear up and you can tell she's loosened some of the tension and anxiety.

"How do you feel now?" you ask, trying not to sound too worried for her sake.

"I'll live," she mumbles before her chin lifts and blue eyes stare into your black eyes. "But you have to tell me what that was about," she says with all jokes aside.

What can you say though? You're not a genie and you certainly don't have any telepathic powers. You have no idea of what that was back there.

Just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind Y/N!

"It's for security measures. They probably thought we were part of the staff hired to make guard tonight," you say, hoping that the words coming out of your mouth are believable enough to fool your best friend.

She blinks.

"Oh," Jesse's eyes seem unfocused for a split second before her shoulders relax completely. "I thought we were in some kind of trouble or something. Thank god," she breathes out.

You try to smile to enforce the lie, but your brain is already working on figuring out what the hell is going on. Because security personnel does not carry guns, they carry batons, stun guns, and other non-lethal weapons. Unless they're armed security guards, but that doesn't make much sense. Concerts do not entail this type of extreme security measures, or do they?

★ ★ ★

Thank you for reaching so far. I hope you've found it interesting. If you did, don't forget to comment and click the tiny star below.

P.S. Me when I lie to my best friend:

 Me when I lie to my best friend:

Annyeong,
saranghae
💜