CHAPTER 1 - We've got tickets!

The sound of a whistle wakes you up from a nice dream that you just can't seem to remember now that you've opened your eyes

The sound of a whistle wakes you up from a nice dream that you just can't seem to remember now that you've opened your eyes. Rather perturbed by this revelation, you try to ponder on what it was. The only thing you recall, however, is that you were standing in front of a table full of people. Yet, all their faces were a blur so you don't remember their identities. Even so, you seemed nervous and about to make a very important decision.

It was probably another dream about failing to pass a promotion... You mumble to yourself, remembering unpleasant memories.

Looking across the bed, towards the nightstand, you see red bold letters marking the time. 6:00 AM. Great, maybe it was a nightmare. Groaning, you cover your face with the bedsheets and wonder why you can't seem to sleep in when you feel the most exhausted.

Sighing, you remove the covers and leave the warmth of the bed with a grumble, tiptoeing your way to the bathroom with sluggish movements.

Already inside, you lean toward the mirror and cringe when you see your reflection. There are dark bags underneath your eyes and let's not mention the state your hair is in. Growling, you take a quick shower and wash your hair until it's docile enough for you to handle.

You leave the bathroom with a towel hanging from your neck and a wet head.

Walking around your room in your underwear, you grab the first shirt and pants you find and put them on. Then, you walk into the kitchen, where you give your limbs a few stretches. Followed by cracking your neck and knuckles.

Your phone pings, signaling a new message. Unlocking the screen with your index fingertip, you read the text. It's from Edward, your partner. He's being a whiny baby, stating his jealousy towards your free day.

You grin.

Originally, the two of you were supposed to have the day off together but the Captain of your police station decided otherwise. Now, you're the only one in your unit who's enjoying a one-day vacation. Not much, but still enough. Although you had planned to sleep in until noon before spending the rest of the day on the couch watching Netflix.

Hearing your stomach growl, you remember why you went into the kitchen in the first place. You grab your stainless steel teapot and fill it with water, then turn the stove on and place it on top of one of the burners. After which you proceed to search one of your lower drawers. Where you find the stashed box filled with tea bags of different flavors.

Looking at them, you rub your chin trying to decide which flavor to use for a whole minute before picking an English Breakfast Teabag. The teapot takes its cue to whistle just then so you take one of the pot-holders lying around and grab the teapot. You begin to pour the hot water on your favorite ceramic cup when something makes you jump, nearly burning yourself with the water.

Knock! Knock!

Someone is at the door, knocking at 6:30 AM!?

KNOCK! KNOCK!