Chapter 21

"Woah, jumpy." He said, retracting his hand and raising both his hands in surrender when he saw my reaction.

I stopped myself from screaming and just stared at him, mouth still agape.

"Why do you keep doing that? Do you have like a disorder that causes your mouth to unhinge like that at the most random times?" Alex asked me, tilting his head in confusion.

I snapped my mouth shut, my teeth clacking as they hit each other.

"Why do you do that? Do you enjoy scaring the souls out of people or something?" I threw back at him.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were so easily scared." He lowered his hand slowly.

My jaw threatened to drop open once again. Was that an insult? It sounds like an insult.. but is it just me?

I shook my head to stop myself from arguing further with him. I was hungry. All I wanted to do was walk through those doors that lead to the restroom and occupy one of the stalls and eat my lunch in peace.

I stepped to the side to walk past him but before I could take another step towards the restrooms, he grabbed my wrist again, stopping me.

I looked down at the hand holding my wrist and turned to look at him questioningly. "What?"

Alex didn't let go of my hand, he gave it a light tug and nodded to the opposite direction of the restroom that was only a few feet away.

I raised an eyebrow before shaking my head. Wherever he thought he was taking me, I wasn't interested. God knows being seen anywhere with him will only fuel the rumors even further. I was counting down the days that people will start to actually move on and forget about that dumb rumor and I'd be damned if I do something that will only prolong that wait.

"Come on, don't be silly. I know that you're only going to sit in there and eat your lunch by yourself on top of a toilet seat." Alex said, calling me out.

I could feel my face heat up with embarrassment at the fact that I got caught by someone.

I knew that the sound of eating in the toilet might sound disgusting or at least disturbing to some people but when I stole a quick glimpse at Alex, I detected no judgment whatsoever. He was just standing there, waiting for me to come with him.

I was dumbfounded. The fact that he wasn't giving me a 'what the hell are you doing eating in the toilet' look rendered me at a loss of words, because I honestly wasn't expecting him to be so.. understanding?But the look that he was wearing showed none of the things that I just mentioned.

I don't know what prompted me to finally give in and let him drag me to wherever he wanted to go, maybe it was the effects of being caught off guard or maybe I wanted someone to do this for me from the very first time I ate lunch in a restroom stall but I just didn't know that I wanted it.

My hand stayed limp in Alex's grip as he led the way. We stepped out of the building and walked all the way to the parking lot. Alex's stride were confident and sure, a stark contrast to my own that were meek and unsure. I was half dragging my feet across the ground, the sound of my soles scraping the surface of the ground was the only sound that came from me.

He stopped by his car and opened the door for me, letting me climb into the passenger seat. I had the urge to look around to see if there were anyone watching us before getting in the car. I mean if we were going to fuel this absurd rumor, I might as well mentally prepare myself to face the music tomorrow. That is if we're lucky. If we're unlucky, we won't even need to wait until tomorrow.

I swear gossip spreads like wildfire in this school. If only one kid sees us right now, the entire student body might as well catch wind of it 5 minutes after we leave. I wouldn't even be surprised if the teachers hear about it 10 minutes after we leave.