Chapter 35

"I'm home." I said out loud into the dark and empty house.

I wasn't sure if Lily was home but my parents were still abroad, dealing with some issues that had come up with the business.

"In here!" Lily's voice came from the kitchen.

I dropped my keys on the counter by the door after taking off my shoes and walked past the dining room to get to the kitchen.

Lily was rummaging the fridge for something, a few pans and skillets laid out on the kitchen counter.

"You're home late." Lily commented.

"I was at Beth's." I told her.

"Ah, how's she? I haven't seen her since last week." Lily asked, head still stuck in the fridge.

"She's fine." I said absentmindedly.

"What are you planning to cook?" I asked her, setting my bag on the floor by the kitchen door.

"Just some carbonara. I feel like having something creamy." Lily answered, placing the ingredients on the kitchen counter.

As she sorted out the pans and skillet, storing what she didn't need back into the shelves, I moved around to the food cabinet and took out the pasta.

I placed the pasta by the other ingredients she had prepared, standing beside her as I helped her crack the eggs while she chopped the bacon.

I felt Lily pause after she moved away to place the pot and pan on top of the stove.

I looked up to see what made her stop, but Lily was staring at me.

"What's wrong with you?" She asked. "Did you have another fight?"

As you might have already guessed, Isaac and I have gotten into a number of fights ever since we started dating 4 months ago.

The first week was alright, he was sweet and there was nothing amiss as far as I was concerned. The following week, something went wrong with his family business and he started receiving some pressure from his work. He started feeling more stressed, more high-strung.

 I shook my head, "I don't want to talk about it."

Hearing my response, Lily shook her head and sighed, lighting up the stove. "You're a dumbass."

I walked towards the sink, grabbing a water bottle, and filling the bottle up. "Look, he's just stressed from his work okay, it's been hectic and things just haven't been going right for him." I said out loud, not quite sure who I was saying it for. 

I could feel Lily's eyeroll behind me as I shut the tap off.

I walked back to the stove and poured water into the pan while Lily took the pasta out of its plastic pack. 

"And that justifies him treating you like shit, how?" Lily asked, challenging my earlier statement.

I bit my lip, knowing that I couldn't win this argument.

Lily sighed once more as she dumped the chopped bacon on top of the pan. "I don't like the way that he makes you an emotional punching bag."

I snorted, "Like how you don't?"

Lily glared at me, "That's besides the point. I'm your sister, I'm the only one allowed to do that."

"Even more than that, I don't like how you are letting him to." Lily added.

I pursed my lips. Why do I feel like I've had this conversation before?

"You won't understand." I replied simply, watching the water start to boil.