Chapter 12

After the cop questioning me had locked me in, a stream of drunk teenagers in party outfits brought a wave of the smell of cigarette and booze into the station. A few of them still haven't given up trying to get away from the police as they tried to get their elbows out of the officers' grips to no avail.

Eventually, everyone was crammed into the two holding cells in the police station and we were forced to share the two small spaces until the police lets us out.

A dude high off his ass stumbled over his own feet as he walked around the small cell. Every time he faced the direction Alex and I was sitting at, I would ever so subtly inch closer to Alex to gain a sense of security.

I didn't like the fact that I was depending on someone in this situation. Ever since I stopped being close friends with Alex 4 years ago, I swore to myself that I wasn't going to let myself depend on another individual for anything. I haven't let anyone in since then, out of fear that I would unconsciously start letting them define my happiness for me.

Some people might say that that's a good thing and that I'm doing it right but I know that it is to a certain point, but beyond that point, it starts being unhealthy. But depending on another person like that can really mess someone up. Even the thought of letting someone in and have them walk out without a word like Alex did makes it feel like there's something heavy being laid on my chest. The possibility of having them think "Enough." and have them drop you the next second and walk out on you was terrifying to me. I didn't know if I would be able to survive another one of those. So I've chosen to play safe.

But it didn't change the fact that I was grateful that Alex was there with me in the holding cell. No matter how much I tried to deny it, his presence did make me feel a bit safer.

The second that the stoned guy started staggering our way, Alex glared at the guy so intensely that he backed off, opting to sit at the other corner of the cell with the other kids from the party that I was arrested from.

"What are you in here for?" I turned to look at Alex in surprise. I thought he wouldn't want to talk to me since he's been avoiding me lately.

It took me a second to remember that I need to answer him to have a conversation with him.

"Uh, I'm not sure. I was in a party and it got crashed by the police, I got caught and brought here." I shared, rubbing the back of my neck.

The exhaustion was catching up to me. The leftover adrenaline was keeping me awake but I would get flashes of fatigue that made me feel like I can pass out any second right then and there.

"What about you? Why are you in here?" I threw the question back at him, forcing my mind to focus on something else instead of the drowsiness that was catching up to me.

Alex shrugged. "I'll be out soon."

That was Alex for you. Doesn't speak much.

I sighed quietly to myself, knowing that if I pressed him for more, he'll just get annoyed. He was my only human shield in this cell. If he abandons me in this small space full of sketchy people, I'll be left to fend for myself against people that I would probably avoid in the streets after it gets dark.

So I stayed quiet, bringing my knees up to my chest and pressing my lips against my jean-cladded knees. I tried to keep my gaze from wandering around the cell too much, not fancying the idea of locking eyes with anyone in this cell and having them turn out to be a psychopath and end up being their object of fascination.

I know that's a wild thought. Your girl has been watching way too many thriller movies. Bear with me.

After an hour of struggling to keep my consciousness, I rested my head on top of my knees and faced Alex, closing my eyes to try and let it get some rest. As you can probably imagine, that was quite hard to do when you're sitting with 10 other people that might actually be in that holding cell for a legitimate reason and your brain is screaming at your senses to be alert to be able to defend yourself when the need comes. After a few seconds of letting my eyes rest, my thoughts overpowered me and I peeled my eyes open.