Chapter 19

"For you have let your past determine your thoughts on me, you will no longer exist in the thoughts of my past." - @emotionseveryday

I set the lid down on the toilet bowl and sat down on it. I took out the sandwich I bought from the cafeteria earlier and started unwrapping the plastic cling wrap that covered it.

The sound of the door to the restroom swinging open and closing filled the restroom a few times. A few of them would walk into the stalls either side of me and do their business, the loud whirl of water going down the drain when they flush would echo in the restroom and drown out the words of the girls who were busy gossiping by the sink.

I swear some of these girls just make this space a hideout for them to gossip about other people most of the time rather than actually going for a wee or do business.

I mean, to be fair, some of the things they talk about are kind of interesting. I felt like I was listening to an audio book and my lunch felt like the popcorn I would snack on while watching a movie.

"Weren't you at that party that got broken up by the cops the other night?" I heard one of them ask who I presumed was her friend.

"Yeah, that was scary. I was lucky I got swept away with the crowd that knew the escape route in case the party got raided." A different voice answered.

I took a bite out of my sandwich and tried to focus on having my lunch. I mean, it wasn't like I wanted to or purposely tried to eavesdrop, I can't help it when the echo in the restroom was that bad.

"Damn, lucky." Her friend agreed.

"Yeah, I guess they knew that there'll be a drug dealer in that party so they had an escape route planned out just in case." She concluded.

"Oh yeah, definitely. I heard Kimberly Rowan talking about it with another girl before the party."

I froze at the mention of Kimmy's name. My hand stopped moving mid-air while my mouth stayed agape. My hand almost went limp and I almost dropped my half-eaten sandwich to the ground.

Did I hear right?

Was she really talking about my Kimmy?

But that wouldn't have made sense, right? I mean Kimmy would have told me about it if she knew that drugs were going to be involved in the party. Hell, she wouldn't have dragged me along with her if she knew. If anyone knows the extent of how much of a goodie-two-shoes I was, it would've been Kim. She has tried to convince me to be more open to things? I guess?

I've never really relented, though. But it's hard for me to believe that she would actually hide it from me and drag me into the middle of it when she knows how anxious and paranoid I was about going anywhere near anything illegal.

Not counting the fact that the very thing I was worried of happening if I ever did get involved in such things really did happen.

I knew how lucky I was to be able to walk out of that police station, pronounced innocent.

I've heard stories of corrupt polices who would plant evidence and just make things up to arrest you and throw you in prison so that they can add it in their personal track record. It was sick but not unheard of, which repulsed me, but also made me ever the more grateful that I was released from the holding cell unscathed.

No, I can't listen to this rumors and just believe them. I need to find Kimmy and hear it from her myself.

I wrapped my half-eaten sandwich and stuffed it into my bag, got up, and unlocked the door, coming out of the stall I've been hiding in.