10

With a lot of effort Soana was finally able to mount her ostrich horse, Ula. They both rode across the desert for nearly a day before Ula and Soana grew weary. She halted Ula by her reigns and dismounted the animal, in an evidently dreary way.

Ula nudged her head against Soana's elbow when she tried to walk past her.

"Okay." Soana grinned and reached into her bag and grabbed an apple for her.

She held the fruit to her beak, gladly bit into and crunched it into fine bits. After Ula ate her apple, Soana lowered herself on the sand as did the ostrich horse.

Ula curled herself into a ball and tucked her head against her side before she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Soana did the same as Ula and laid on the sand only to place her head on her bag that wasn't as full as it was when she left the Northern Air Temple.

Soana frowned at the realization that if she didn't get to Ba Sing Se fast enough, she wouldn't have enough food or water to last her and Ula. She only had two apples, a handful of tree nuts, and her water pouch was halfway filled.

Instead of dwelling anymore, Soana let her eyes fall close where she fell into complete darkness.

Soana woke with sand being kicked in her eyes. The princess shot up from her laying position only to brush off the sand on her clothes and face, fortunately for her, she didn't get any in her eyes.

When she looked, Ula's tail was facing her until she turned and stared at Soana as if she was telling her, it was time to get up.

The princess narrowed her eyes.
"You're so rude."

In response Ula flicked her tail and stomped her feet in the sand impatiently.

Soana sighed when she saw that the sun was rising over the horizon. It was going to be a long day of riding for the princess and the ostrich horse.

Soana pulled herself from the sand only to feel her lower half sore from being mounted to Ula the day before.

Ula let Soana mount her, patiently, before they took off in the direction of Ba Sing Se.

Soana could see the giant stone wall that surrounded the imperial city.

She grinned at the sight as she rode Ula towards the destination.

She was doing it.

Soana was riding towards her freedom with so much hope in her heart.

Ula was nearly out of breath by the time her and Soana had reached the entrance to Ba Sing Se where Earth Kingdom soldiers stood with their dark green and black armored uniforms.

Soana didn't feel intimidated by them at all. If anything, she caught their attention when she rode towards them on an incoming ostrich horse.

"Woah." One said, looking at her as Soana slowed Ula's pace.

The other soldier sent him a glare, apparently more serious than the soldier that gawked at the princess.

Soana pulled the reigns to make Ula halted before the soldiers.
"Good morning!" She greeted with hope in her voice.

"Morning, ma'am." The stern soldier greeted lowly.

"State your name and business for coming to Ba Sing Se."

The other soldier continued to stare at her, but she shrugged it off and thought nothing of it.
"My name is Soana, I travel from the north."

"You're a refugee, huh?" He asked.