7

The darkness felt permanent to Soana

The darkness felt permanent to Soana. For nearly two hours, the water bender forced the speed of her boat with her bending until her arms grew tired.

When she had time to finally rest, her boat coasted along the water, rocking to the small waves that moved her boat.

The princess felt the urge to drink water since she had been forcing herself to get away from her tribe for two hours. To quench her thirst, Soana popped the cap off of her water can and bent a small sphere of water into her mouth.

After swallowing the cold water, she sat on one of the benches of the boat and sighed.

She did it.

She got away from the life of royalty and its burdens, but she wasn't officially there yet.

The princess' fatigue was catching up to her while she tried to fight it. Suddenly her eyes shut, and she leaned her head in her hands to rest her eyes.

When she opened them, she was laying inside the bottom of her boat with her knapsack and sleeping bag above her head.

The sun shone above the horizon of the water, meaning it was late morning. She was sure that if the coast would bring her close to Ba Sing Se, then she could get far away from Zuko, her father, or either of their guards.

She knew the boats her tribe had were useless against a Fire Nation ship, but she also thought with her bending making her as fast as the wind, then she would have enough time to get away even if she did have a useless water tribe boat.

Soana sat up from her resting place on the bottom of the boat and reached into her knapsack for a piece of the biscuit she had packed until she saw a black dot landing in front of her.

With the black dot falling and landing in her lap, more had followed.

After a quick thought, she turned her head and check her surroundings.

It was ash falling from the sky. The ash was from a Fire Nation ship close by, so she knew she had to skip breakfast and get back to leave, but she didn't know which way she came from or where she was going.

Soana searched her surroundings through the falling ash until she saw the smokestack of a Fire Nation ship on the horizon of her port side.

Her breath hitch when she secured her knapsack and stood up to point herself in the direction of the south using the sun. She knew the sun rose in the East and set in the West, so she pointed herself away from the ship and started pushing and pulling the waves until she threw her arms back and sped away from her enemy's ship.

Sunset was when Soana could finally get away from the Fire Nation ship. After hours of constantly stopping to rest her aching body and picking up the pace again, she was growing tired.

When there wasn't ash falling from the sky, she would rest, but the safety of the clear air didn't last long before it followed.

She knew Zuko was more than likely to be on her tail, but she didn't know when he would be there to catch up with her. But he wasn't the only thing catching up to her. The fatigue of constantly pushing, pulling, standing in the correct stance, and maintaining a fast pace was enough for Soana to suddenly drop the second she saw the sky clear of any specs of ash.