Chapter Three

Chapter Three

           " Where's my purse?"

            " My perfume!!!"

            " Have you seen the-"

            " Bree!  Calm down!  Everything will be okay,"  Autumn assured me, leaning against my door frame.

              " How can I calm down?  We have exactly one hour to get through security, get our passports checked and meet Delania on time! That's not enough time!" I exclaimed, my cheeks were flushed and I felt as though I could pass out.

             Autumn walked into my room and picked my large pink suitcase off my bed.  " Everything is going to be fine.  You're going to get on that plane and have no regrets.  You're also going to compete in the Olympics and live your dream."

               " How is it that you always know what to say?"  I asked, pulling my best friend into a warm embrace.

               " It's what I do,"  she laughed. " Now come on, we don't wanna miss our flight!"

             We bustled out of the apartment, locked it, and made our way into the lobby faster than you can say back handspring.

              Luckily for us, we lived near one of the main streets so taxi's were also passing by.  Autumn whistled for a taxi.  Once the small yellow car pulled up,  Autumn immediately began putting our bags in.   Turning around, I took one last look at the condo.   Even if I had only lived her for around two months, it was still home.  Chicago was my home.  Now, I was preparing to leave for what may be for good.

            " Bree, you ready?"  Autumn asked, placing her hand atop the taxi.  I nodded my head.  pulling the door open, I felt something different than I had ever felt before.  Nervousness?  No.  Excitement?  Maybe.  Joy?  Sadness?  An odd mixture of both?  Totally.   This was something I had always dreamed about, but actually living it?  It was harder than I had ever imagined and the journey hadn't even started yet!   After a good twenty minutes sitting in utter silence, the cab pulled to a stop.

             I grabbed twenty dollars from my purse and handed it to the kind, old black man who drove us here.   I straightened my back pack, took a tighter grip on my suitcase handle and stepped inside the airport.

          Autumn and I hurriedly weighed our bags, got passed security and were at the passport check in less than twenty minutes.

           " So, your qualifying for the Olympics this year?"  the man asked me.  I looked at his name tag which read ' Barron '.

         " Yes, gymnastics actually," I corrected, my palms getting sweatier by the minute as I saw what time it was.

       " Well then," Mr. Barron said sternly, " I have only one thing to say to you."  My heart pounded as he inched closer to my face.  Thoughts race through my mind like, What is he going to say?  Is he going to disapprove of my passport?  Does he hate American gymnast's?  " Bring home the gold," I let out a sigh of relief as he stamped my passport and handed it back to me.

          " Yeah, alright, I will, love you too, bye," Autumn pressed the end button on her I-phone and smiled.  " That was my mom.  She said your mom is with her and she is sorry for not getting to talk to you earlier.  She also wishes you the best of luck."

       I smiled.  It was comforting to know my family was so supportive of my decisions.  Our terminal was A15 and we only had ten minutes to get there.

           " Do you see it anywhere?" I asked looking around at all the signs, hoping that ours was in sight.

          " Yep," Autumn pointed. " Right up there."  I regained my grip on the handle of my suitcase and eagerly ran up to the terminal.   I searched the crowd to find the snobby blond and my red headed instructor.   " There they are!"  Autumn once again pointed forward where they were sitting.  Why couldn't I think clearly today?

        " Bree!  I was beginning to think you weren't going to make it!"  Delainia exclaimed, a small coming afterwards.

         " I wouldn't miss it for the world,"  I smiled.  I gave Rebecka a tiny wave before  Delainia ushered me to meet my other team mates.  Five girls stood against the glass window having a small talk.

           " Girls, this is Bree Adamson.  She will be your team mate,"  Delaina introduced me, giving my shoulder a tight squeeze, she left to find the other coaches.

           " Sheesh, how many girls are on this team?"  A girl about an inch taller than me smirked. "Just kidding!  I'm McKayla Maroney."  The girl, or McKayla as she said her name was, put her hand out.  I took that as an invitation and gave it a squeeze.  "Let me introduce the rest of us!  This," she motioned to an Asian looking girl," Is Kyla."  Kyla waved to me and I waved back.  " That's Gabby,"  a small African American girl stepped forward and smiled," and those two are Jordyn and Aly."

         "Flight 365 to Heatherow Airport, London now bording.  Please enjoy your flight," the stewardess anounced.

               "That's us,"  Kyla exclaimed cheerfully.  The girls continued their small talk as they ushered me to follow them.  Maybe, even with Rebecka,  I could still have a good time.