Chapter One

• Dedicated to Kat :{

                                                                                 Chapter 1

      "More poise," my gymnastics instructor, Delaina Jones commanded.  I had been a gymnast since I was three.   I jogged my way to the left side of the bright blue mat.   Taking my stance, I took a sprint.  Jumping in the air, I curled my body into a small ball.  As I fell through the air I uncurled myself and landed stranding straight up, feet pointed and arms raised high.

     "Good, but not impressive.  The judges have seen that to many times before, Bree,"  Delaina informed me.  I rolled my eyes and wiped some sweat from my forehead.

     "Then what will make me stand out to them?" I asked, mustering as much sweetness as possible.

      "Well-"  Delaina was cut short as her next student walked in.  Rebecka Sweet stood nearby the door.  She was already in her leotard and her bright blond hair was in a bun set atop her head. 

       "Miss Jones, it's time for my practice,"  Rebecka stated as if Delaina didn't already know.

       "Of course Rebecka.  I could never forget our practice time."  Delaina smiled at her.  I walked over to the bench where my duffel bag was set.   I picked up my bag and slipped on my high tops.

      I sighed as I looked up to the trophies and medals plastered on the wall.  Oh how I dreamed of being an Olympic medalist!  It was the only reason I had stood the long hours of training with Rebecka.   Rebecka and I had first met when we were six.  I was the new student in Miss Delaina's gymnastics class.   Rebecka had hated me from the start.  She made sure I was embarrassed in the locker room when we had competitions.  From putting itching powder in my leotard to dying my hair green in my sleep.  Rebecka had never missed a chance to ruin my life.  When we hit Junior High the tension increased.  We both went in the running for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.  Suddenly it no longer became embarrassing me that was what made her happy, but also making sure I failed to meet the requirements for the Olympics.

  My thoughts were cut short by the sound of applause.  I turned my head to see Rebecka standing with her hands held high, a giant smile plastered on her face.  Miss. Delaina complimented her on her poise and told her to take a water break.  I began my way out of the gym when Rebecka stopped me.

  "Whose going to the Olympics now?" she whispered in my ear.  I shook the comment off and rummaged around my bag for my hoodie.  Slipping it on, I searched the parking lot for my best friend, Autumn Conway.  We have known each other since first grade and been inseparable ever since.  My search stopped when her 2007  Blue Honda pulled in.  I jogged up to it and opened the door.

   "So, did Delaina say anything about you going to London any time soon?"  Autumn asked a mischievous gleam in her hazel eyes.

   "No.  I think she's going to choose Rebecka...." I trailed off, resting my head on the window.  Rain began to tap on it, as if asking for permission to get in.

   "Well if she remember you have a best friend who knows ka-ra-teee,"  she joked stretching the 'E' at the end to sound like an 'A'.  I laughed at the attempt she made to make me smile.  We drove through the bustling streets of Chicago, past kiosks, restaurants, and shops.  Finally we came to a familiar sight.  Autumn and I shared a small two room apartment.  We bought it last month when we graduated.

  "Baby you light up my world  like nobody else...." the radio blasted.  I rolled my eyes at how pathetic the song was.  Autumn lip synced the lyrics as we pulled into the condo parking lot.  Autumn's auburn locks bounced up and down as she turned the ignition on.  Opening the door,  I walked into the condo lobby.

   "I'm gonna go get the mail,"  Autumn called from across the room.  I flashed her a quick thumbs up and sprinted up the steps.  Three floors up, six doors to the right, I found room C13.  I lifted the 'Welcome' mat, finding the key.  Placing it in the lock, turning it, the door creaked ajar.  Pushing it open, the smell of coconut and warm vanilla hit me like a wave of smelly goodness.  I turned to my left and opened the second door down.  Walking over to my closet, I changed into sweats and a tank top.  I pulled my dark brown hair into a ponytail and took in my appearence in the mirror.  I was a simple, fair skinned, 5'3 girl with bright blue eyes.  My parents had named me Bree because it means, ' Strength and Honorable'.  I had been born with only one lung, so the thought of me ever doing sports or even breathing was slim.  Yet, here I was eighteen years later and still breathing - plus I'm training for the Olympics. 

   " Bree, someone's on the phone!"  Autumn called.  She must've gotten back from the mail room.

   "Yeah.  So?" I asked.  Sometimes that girl can be the brightest crayon in the box and other times the dullest.

   " They wanna talk to you!" she yelled a bit louder this time.  I yawned and trudged into the kitchen.  Autumn was on her laptop either paying bills or on Farmville.  Most likely the second option.

   "Hello," I yawned once again, taking the phone from Autumn.

   " Hello, is this Bree Adamson?" the man on the other end of the line asked.

   " Yes," I asked somewhat warily.

                                               "I have some news to tell you."

                                              " And that news would be?"

                                           "Congratulations.  You are going to be apart of the American Gymnastics Team in the 2012 London Olympics.