Q & A with Chip Hale - Film Director

How was directing your first feature different from other projects you've worked on?

Normally on independent films the director is usually the producer, writer, as well as craft service and a number of other positions. Which is something that I grew accustomed to, having worked on so many independent projects. However, for Mulligans I was just the director. I got to tell you it was nice to just do one job. I think it's something I can definitely get used to.

How did you personally relate to the screenplay?

The family really grabbed me when I first read Mulligans. The story has so many layers, but at each layer, the core is the family. Forgiveness isn't easy and each family member forgave Nathan for his choice in their own unique way.

What homage did you make to other films and filmmakers and incorporate into Mulligans?

Wow. That's a tough question. I feel like I'm the illegitimate "film-nerd" child of so many different filmmakers. I love how Soderberg and Paul Thomas Anderson use one shots often in their films. The confidence they have in the actors to just put the camera in place and let the actors act is something that influenced me during Mulligans. I did pay homage to Bull Durham in hopes to make the audience somewhat okay with Nathan and Chase's relationship. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one.

Is there an overall message the film conveys in your opinion?

In my opinion the overall message is that most families are dysfunctional. To me dysfunctional is the norm, especially in today's society. I feel Mulligans reminds people that no matter how dysfunctional their family may be, there are other families that are similar if not almost identical.

Do you make an appearance, or a Hitchcock cameo in Mulligans?

I do make a Hitchcock-type cameo, but I'm not going to tell you where. You have to find it.

Do you have a favorite sequence or scene?

There are so many, and my favorite changes every time I watch the film. Right now my two favorite scenes are when Chase comes out to Tyler at the golf course. Derek and Charlie are great in this scene; both of their performances are so real. The other is when Nathan and Chase finally get together. It's such an uncomfortable moment, but Alice (the cinematographer) and I shot it to look pretty to get that juxtaposition. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one as well.