22. There's Nothing to Discuss

Stacey held the rose-petaled teacup between her hands tightly, channeling comfort through its warmth. Tyler and Birdy were busy occupying themselves in their grandma's garden shed constructing a birdhouse. Stacey was pleased that despite their age gap the two got on well, perhaps due more to Birdy's maturity than to Tyler's. She hummed to herself as she surveyed her mother's yard, a venerable mosaic of color. It was a wonder she was so capable of such orchestrated botany in light of her habit of starting happy hour around noon. Maybe she gardens in the morning, Stacey mused.

"Brandy, darling?"

Stacey turned to see her mother crossing the yard with a crystal decanter, dressed for an Easter parade in bonnet and pearls. "I have tea, thank you."

"I know, dear. That's what I meant, brandy for your tea?" she asked, uncorking the decanter, ready to pour.

"I'm fine, thank you. You go ahead," Stacey said, turning back to admiring the sprays of color in the garden.

"You know I never really started drinking until your father passed," she explained, filling her teacup with amber. She poured out a splash from the crystal on the lawn. "God rest his soul."

Her mother settled into the chair beside Stacey and joined her in audience of the yard. "I'm worried about you, Stacey."

"Why? There's nothing to worry about."

"Of course there is. The children are growing up. You need to find a hobby to occupy your time. Stillness will make you crazy."

"I'm fine, really, Mom."

Her mother raised an eyebrow skeptically. "Have you and Nathan talked about... you know?"

"He'll bring it up when he's ready. It's not my place," Stacey answered, wiping a stray tress of hair away from her forehead. "Besides, maybe there's nothing to discuss."

"Stacey...." Her mother reprimanded her in a single word. "All I'm suggesting is that you're still young, you have a lot of years ahead of you...."

"I love him, Mom," Stacey said, shaking her head. "Nothing changes that."

After that it seemed there was little left to say. The ladies sipped their tea and feigned excited interest as Tyler and Birdy emerged from the garden shed with their little cedar birdhouse and animatedly discussed where the most perfect spot for it in the yard might be. Stacey contemplated her situation. She couldn't force her husband into a confession he wasn't yet willing to make, but perhaps she could find an innocent way to prod him along.