35. Waiting Room

Jarod must have seen the color drain from Chase's face as the truck pulled up beside the Davidsons' lake house. "You want me to go with you?"

Chase took a deep breath and shook his head. "I'll be okay, thanks."

"I'll be waiting right here," Jarod assured him with a smile.

Chase hopped out of the truck and crossed the yard to the guest cottage. He had no idea what he was going to say other than "I'm sorry." Those were the only words that continued to ring through his mind. He knew it was now or never. He knocked on the door and waited, fighting to keep his legs from turning around and walking him right back in the other direction.

No one answered.

Chase tried the doorknob. The door pushed open, and he peered inside. The guest cottage was empty. He quickly crossed to the open closet and saw that his clothes had been pulled from the hangers and shelves and stuffed haphazardly into his duffel bags. Thankful that this would save him time and a chance meeting with Tyler, which he really wasn't ready for, he slung the bags over his shoulder, grabbed his easel and canvases, and headed for the door.

Just as he was reaching for it, the doorknob turned, and the door swung open. Tyler breezed through but stopped in his tracks when he saw Chase. He gave him a once-over. His face turned to disgust as he saw the canvas pinched under Chase's arm, and he abruptly turned and left, slamming the door behind him. Chase glanced down and saw the painting of Nathan on the dock, banefully displayed in his hasty exit. He hurried out of the cottage and yelled after Tyler, but his breath was wasted. Tyler had apparently seen all he needed to see.

Chase trudged across the yard under the weight of his few belongings and down the driveway to Jarod's truck.

"Chase, wait."

He turned to see Nathan, oil rag in hand, exit the garage and take a few tentative steps toward him. But they had shared their good-bye already, and it had cost them dearly. There was nothing left to say, and any time spent in each other's company now could only further complicate matters and incriminate them. Chase paused, giving Nathan a grave smile, and nodded before turning and walking to Jarod's truck. He didn't know where his life was going to lead, but it wasn't supposed to be spent with Nathan.