34. Jerry Springer Called

Jarod sauntered shirtless out onto the second-story patio, his pajama bottoms hanging off his hips carelessly, though Chase barely noticed. Even as Jarod poured the morning coffee and his muscled chocolate torso paced in front of him, Chase all but ignored him. He rested his head on his interlaced hands on the tabletop, still regrettably silent.

"Hey, Chase, Jerry Springer called. He wants you on his show." Jarod tried a joke, but Chase wasn't ready to laugh over the incident.

"Honestly, I don't know how it got to that place. I just saw this man who so desperately was wanting to be himself...."

Jarod took the seat across from Chase and started fixing his coffee with cream and sugar. "I always wondered about Mr. Davidson."

"It's that look, right? I suspected something the minute I met him," Chase recalled, shaking his head.

Jarod grinned slyly and rested his hands behind his head. "I knew when you couldn't name even one player on the Steelers. That and the fact that your sneaker couldn't seem to keep itself away from mine."

"You were the one playing footsie with me!" Chase accused, and a smile crept across his face. He instantly sobered himself, feeling guilty for even momentarily coming out of his funk.

"I'm just sorry it took all that drama to get you over here for a few sleepovers."

Chase shot him a disparaging look.

"Okay, I know, I know. We've been over this and I'm sorry," Jarod said. "I was an ass, completely. I want to try again, on your terms. Out in the open."

Chase looked at him solemnly and shook his head. "You know I'm not ready for that. And neither are you."

"I'm not gonna say what you did was a smart move, but you're not the only one who made a mistake here, Chase. The blame doesn't completely land on your shoulders," Jarod said, standing and walking around the back of Chase's chair and massaging his neck. "Have you seen him yet?"

"Who?" Chase asked sarcastically.

"Tyler. It's been over a week. Don't you think you should talk to him?" Jarod asked, moving his hands down and kneading Chase's arms.

"I'm sure he doesn't want to see me."

"It's not going to get better all at once, but you have to start somewhere," Jarod advised. "You know you're welcome to stay with me here as long as you want. My parents went back to the city. It's our place now."

"Jarod, you don't have to do this...."

"I want to do this. Come on, as cute as you look wearing my clothes, it's time to get your stuff," Jarod said, pulling Chase out of his chair.

"I can't go there."

"We'll go together. I'm not gonna let anything happen to you." Jarod squeezed Chase's shoulder. "You can't hide from this forever."