Here's To Our Struggles and Strikes

New York, New York

New York, New York

Same day.

It didn't take very long for reality to set in.

If it weren't for the sight of Bucky cradling Ashlyn's body in his arms as he tried to set himself against the window glass, you would've thought this was all some bad nightmare.

His eyes were hollow and staring into the full head of hair of his wife, his fingers trembling as they held onto her scalp.

Your lips started moving. You were trying to communicate with him as best you could.

He knew you were talking to him and that you were giving him some sort of instruction. He could clearly see you from his peripheral.

Yet all he could do was shake and continue to hold his wife.

Your heart shattered at the scene in front of you. Knowing that you had partially been the cause of this did something terrible to your heart.

You knew that two years - fifty years- down the road, you wouldn't forgive yourself for causing the amount of pain you did.

It was all because you fell in love with a taken man.

Your sister's face was lifeless: pale, her lips and cheeks fading color. You knew this was bad.

You continued to repeat the words to Bucky until he finally blinked.

"What?" His voice was hoarse, blue eyes meeting yours.

"We need to lay her down." You repeat, concerned.

It seemed to take a few long seconds for him to register what you had instructed him.

Bucky nods, pulling Ashlyn in tighter by her underarms.

You're in pain as you watch the broken man in front of you struggle to oblige.

"Come on, Bucky." You say exasperated when he still didn't move from his spot on the floor.

It took about ten minutes for you both to finally get Ashlyn tucked into her master bedroom.

You didn't intend to, but your eyes drifted around their room. It was warm and comforting. The walls were a soft cream color and the duvet was porcelain white. Five pillows lined the head of the bed.

You don't allow your eyes to trail for too long as you help adjust the pillows behind her head, but their wedding picture was on the nightstand.

It reminded you of your place.

"I'll call a doctor, just in case."

Bucky steps out into the hallway, pulling out his phone to call their family doctor.

You stayed behind, next to Ashlyn's bed.

Your nimble fingers trailed the side of her face almost opaque face. She looked so peaceful compared to how she had been a half hour ago.