Here's To The Nights

Montauk, NY 7 years earlier

The trip lasted for about two more days, and it ended up being a complete blast. The day after the pool party, you had all woken up bright and early. You remember waking up and cringing as the bright sun peeked from behind the curtains in your guest bedroom. You winced and cursed. You had a slight headache from last night.

You hated being a damn lightweight. Just one sip and you already knew the next morning a dumb migraine would follow you around.

Thankfully, after a cup of coffee and an Advil, it began to go away. 

Everyone gathered around the kitchen island as they all decided what they'd do for the day for fun. Once it was settled, you made your way out into town.

The town was pretty. 

It had its handmade stone streets and it was clean. Vintage light posts lined the streets, and even though it was day time, they remained on. They were illuminating the pathway and creating a calm and romantic glow. Couples walked down the sidewalk hand in hand. Some of them had kids who they would push in their expensive strollers.

Some were tourists, some were here for the summer, and some were leaving their beach homes for a walk into town for some fresh air and delicious breakfast.

You walked alongside Nat and Sam while Steve, Bucky, and Ashlyn kept stopping to look at some antiques through the windows. Your group insisted on walking into the stores instead of just looking from the outside.

You strolled into the touristy gift shops and felt inclined to buy a white sweatshirt that said Montauk on it.

Next, you went to breakfast at a little five-star corner restaurant that barely fit all six of you around a corner table. It was fantastic. At one point, the syrup had practically sprayed out of your nose after Nat said something offensive about Sam.

Sam snarled in annoyance and Bucky and Ashlyn threw their head back in chuckles. 

Meanwhile, Nat and Steve made you laugh even more.

You were honestly having the time of your life. You didn't expect to feel so comfortable so quickly, and you couldn't be more thankful to have actually made such great friends.

Eventually, the sun had begun to set — the sky was turning into a dark blue with specks of purple and pink.

You were all walking down Main St to go to a gorgeous restaurant Ashlyn had found on yelp when you felt a slight nudge on your arm. If you had been daydreaming, you almost wouldn't have felt it.

You glanced over to your left to see Steve smirking down at you. His blue eyes (did they have green in them? Jesus H. Christ.) sparkled and his pure white smile made you feel funny inside. His sincerity was overbearing.

The way he stared at you reminded you of what Nat had told you yesterday in the kitchen and you feel a deep heat make its way up to your neck. You snapped your head and cleared your throat. 

You tried not to smile.

It was nice to experience something for once that wasn't depression or fear. 

In that instance, you felt total happiness. It was a pleasant change from your everyday routine. And while you constantly sensed Steve's eyes on you, he obviously hadn't looked away even though you did.

You felt that tug that made you want to have a conversation, but you maintained your distance because that's not what you wanted- not yet.

Sure, the surrounding circumstances made you want that, but your heart could be deceiving. You had to use your brain, and right now what your brain told you was that you had to take things one step at a time.