10- My Best Friends

Alex:

"Alex, look out!"

I turned around just in time to see a snowball flying straight to my face. Stunned, all I could do was to stare at it, watching it come closer, closer... and... disappear.  

Melted, into water.  

In a matter of milliseconds. 

Scott, who was, until that moment, laughing at the look on my face. Froze. Literally. He blinked, slowly, and I could see that his lips were whispering words I could not hear. 

I cursed to myself. It had been two months since I enrolled in Xavier's, and I had gotten so used to this place that I had almost forgotten the reason I was here. Classes were discontinued during winter, so, after the first meeting I had with the Professor, I had virtually no contact with him at all. Of course, no classes also meant that I could avoid the company of my other schoolmates. Don't get me wrong, I'm not antisocial; the thing is, until I got my issue sorted out, I didn't trust myself to get too close with anybody. 

There were just some things you could never unlearn. 

Instead of lessons, though, I spent my free time in the companies of Scott and Wolverine, although never at the same time. Jean and Storm were rarely around; even when they were, they were so grown up, that I hardly ever spent time with them. I liked Rogue a lot, but she was usually with Bobby, so I normally left them alone. I didn't mind. Regardless of my first impression of Scott, I had grown to really love his company. Scott was a remarkably sweet guy; he treated me like I was the most precious, vulnerable thing he was responsible for and went all out to make sure I was happy.  

Wolverine, too, always looked out for me, but unlike Scott, he didn't make me feel special; he made me feel safe.  

Normal.  

Somehow, every time I'm with these people, I let my guard down subconsciously. I didn't feel the constant need to be on my toes, forever guarding what I saw, what I heard.  

Sometimes, though, I couldn't help myself. Like now. 

"Alex? Woaw. I... I'm sorry if I caught you offguard... I was just, you know... trying to stun you..." Scott's voice trailed away, and I could see that he was anxious, looking at me. 

I sighed. It was during times like these that I was reminded of how much I hated myself. Was I doomed to live my life like this? Constantly alert, fearful of everyone's company? 

Scared of things I'll might accidentally pick up? 

I looked at Scott sadly. His concerned face was hovering above mine, and I wished that I could tell him how lucky he was, that I had been staring at the snowball, and not at him. Instead, I swallowed the words back. Selfish as it may sound, I didn't want people to start avoiding me. I needed company. I needed people to talk to so I could get my mind off my daily nightmares. 

A cold wind gusted, and shook me from my reverie. I forced a smile back at Scott. 

"It's okay Scott. No biggie. Listen, I heard that we have one of the best ever hot chocolate and marshmallows around this place. So," I said, while grabbing Scott's brawny hands, "mind making me a cup?" 

And despite his complaints, I dragged him back into the school.