28- Taking a Break

Alex:

"I don't think I like the Professor very much, Scott."

Scott almost chocked on the apple he was biting. I stared at him impatiently, waiting for him to swallow it down. It was the end of another long day of classes and training sessions, and I could feel my patience running out.

"Why'd... why'd you say that, Alex?" Scott finally managed to wheeze, in between coughs. He was bent down, hands on his knees, but he was looking straight at me.

I continued walking on, my back towards him. 

"Because... I don't know, Scott. I mean, he knows by now how I've learnt his powers, but the way he talks to me is just SO... degrading. He keeps telling me to be careful, to be calm, it just annoys me!"

"Alex, wait up, will you?" Scott ran towards me. I didn't look back, just continued walking on. Scott sighed and matched his pace with mine.

"I've never heard the Professor telling you to do that... Does he actually have time for one-on-one conversations?"

"D'uh, Scott, he doesn't talk to me verbally, he just... you know," I signaled to my head. "Telepathy." I rolled my eyes and continued. "Which, actually, makes it even more annoying. I mean, can't he just say it aloud, so everybody can see what an annoyance he is?"

"Alex!"

Scott had grabbed my arm, hard, and forced me to face him.

"Scott, what the heck? You're hurting me!"

"Alex, what's gotten into you? The Professor just cares about you very much, he wants you to be safe!"

I tugged my arm angrily from Scott's grasps.

"Yeah, and cows fly. Listen, Scott. Why do you think he keeps asking me to stay calm? Its so that I won't be able to practice well. What happens then? I'll lose my control, my abilities. I think the Professor is scared that I'll grow to be more powerful than he becomes, Scott."

"What?" Scott explodes. His expression was wild; despite myself, I trembled. "What is wrong with you, Alex? Good grief, can you hear yourself speak? The Professor is a good man, Alex, and despite all your abilities, you will never be able to have half his powers!"

I flinched, hurt. Scott ignored me.

"Now, I have no idea what's been going with you, Alex, but I'm assuming this is just a phase you're going through. But, phase or no phase, Alex, I will not tolerate you bad mouthing the Professor, do you understand me, Alex?"

Slowly, I nodded my head.

"Good." Scott said briefly, before he let my arm go. Immediately, I started to rub it; it was getting numb from the pressure he had exerted. Scott didn't say anything, he took a few steps back and exhaled a deep breath, running his hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry, Alex." Scott mumbled after a while. He didn't come near me, though.

I gave a small nod. Silence fell upon us; I didn't feel like starting a conversation with Scott, 'coz I was still hurt by his words and actions.

"Well, don't you have anything to say to me too?" Scott finally asked, with an incredulous look on his face.

I turned my head towards his direction, annoyed. What in the world does he want from me now?

"Shouldn't you apologize too?"

"For what, exactly?" I retorted, ice cold.

"I don't know... for being so ungrateful?"

"I just told you what I was thinking about, Scott. I won't apologize for my thoughts!"

Scott gaped back at me, open mouthed. To be honest, I realized how much of a jerk I sounded like, but I didn't care anymore. Scott seemed to struggle with words, not being able to form a fully coherent sentence, but I just stared back at him, my face impassive. Finally, though, he decided to keep quiet, although he maintained his hard stare.

After a while, I let out a defeated sigh.

"Look, Scott, its been a long day... can we just, you know, go back and forget about this?" I asked, in a small voice.

Scott swallowed as he continued to study me, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Alex, I... I hate to say this, but... I think we should... lay off practices for a day or two. Listen to yourself, Alex. This isn't you talking. You need a break." Scott placed his hand on my sore arm, gently. "Let's take a vacation. I'll tell the Professor that you deserve this. He'll definitely agree, no one has ever progressed this fast... and, we'll go to..."

"Vail!" I blurted suddenly, interrupting Scott. It was where I had wanted to go with my mother, so it had a special place in my heart. Scott was special to me, too, so it fitted perfectly.

Scott's face broke into a smile; he was probably relieved that I had taken a liking to his idea. I mean, seriously, despite my outburst, who wouldn't? A vacation in one of the most beautiful places in the country, alone with a guy I loved, not having to stress over classes and practices? Heck yes!

"Very well then, my love. If Vail is where you want to go, then Vail it'll be!"

I squealed excitedly, and threw my arms around Scott's broad shoulders.

"Thank you, Scott," I whispered, flickering my eyes between his lips and his spectacles. Scott must have gotten the message, for he grinned, as he crushed his lips on mine. We both stood there, wrapped up in each other, for what felt like hours. As our kisses grew deeper, and longer, I smiled mischievously.

This was going to be one heck of a holiday.