Prologue: X-Men: A Fan Fiction

A/N: For those new readers, welcome! Okay, first off, I'm gonna have to tell you that my story is an X-men spin off. What? You don't like X-Men? Never heard of it? DON'T LEAVE YET! You don't have to know/ like the books/ movies to understand (and hopefully enjoy) this story. Like I said, its a spin off, so its only ever so loosely based on the original series. Also, its not filled with adventure/ war scenes, so its an easy read for everyone! Give it a try, kay? muahxx!

---

Mutation- It is the key to our evolution. It has enabled us to evolve from a single-celled organism into the dominant species on the planet. This process is slow and normally taking thousands and thousands of years. But every few hundred millennia, evolution leaps forward...

---

Alex:

The air smelt cool, crisp. Autumn had just started, and, boy, was it chilly. I pulled my tan cardigan closer around me; unnecessarily, really, since the cotton material did no more of a job of keeping me warm than the baseball cap pulled low over my eyes did. I sighed. I had been travelling for more than 5 hours now, and while the first 3 hours on the train were spent in tears, I did my best to enjoy the rest of the trip.  The view changed from quiet, expansive lawns and neighborhoods that I used to call my home, to big cities that I sometimes visited with my mum, who was rarely at home, always at some charity events or another…

At the thought of her, my heart squeezed, and I furiously blinked back tears that were threatening to flow again.

As I stared listlessly outside, I realized that the scenery had changed again, to… well, the only word I could use to describe it was… emptiness. True, the size of the houses here were as big as my own back home (and that was saying something), but although the streets were busy with people rushing around with briefcases, and kids with their well-dressed nannies, I got the feeling that this place was empty. Without souls. The houses themselves, despite being tastefully decorated from the outside, were all in bricks of dark hues. The garden, beautifully maintained, seemed to be too perfect- had no kids ever played in there?

I sighed again: deeply, sadly this time. Maybe I was imagining too much. Maybe I wasn’t. Maybe all that I had thought about was true, not just some hyper-active imagination going on. Who knew? I definitely didn’t know; in fact, I wasn’t sure about anything these days. Who was I?

What was I?

My travelling companion cleared his throat. I gave a start, almost forgettening that the school I was to be sent to had not allowed me to make this journey on my own. Ruefully, I thought that it was a good idea. At this moment, who knew exactly what I was capable of doing?

Wolverine gave me a gruff, crooked smile from his seat across me. I liked him, a lot. Not in a romantic way, more like in a big-brotherly way. He wasn’t the overly cheery, talkative type- in fact, he didn’t even bother consoling me while I was crying- but somehow, I found it OK.

He looked tough; his black, scruffy hair was styled into a really weird hairdo- spiky on top, but flat on the sides, like a wolf (hence his nickname, I thought to myself), and the barely-there scars on his face looked like they were permanently etched, but overall, he seemed a pleasant guy. Rough at the edges, but still a nice guy deep inside.

Half an hour ago, while we were still on the train, after he figured that I had really stopped crying for good, he started to breif me about my soon-to-be school, and although he seemed bored talking about it, he certainly got me excited. He didn’t volunteer any information about his abilities, though, and I didn’t ask.

I couldn’t afford to.