James Dean and Daria

Disclaimer: All Gilmore Girls content belongs to Amy Sherman-Palladino.

. . .

two years later

A Ramones song was stuck in her head, and Ella hummed along with its tune as she twirled around the diner. Her hair, freshly cut, was back in a black bandana. She blew her wispy curtain bangs away from the sides of her forehead as she served up lunch. Lane was on shift, and they bounced around together in sync. Working with her made everything a little sunnier. Lorelai had always said Ella and Lane were night and day, respectively. The thought of it made Ella smile as she joined her friend behind the counter again. Recently, Lane had been experimenting with contacts, and it was still jarring to see her without her trademark glasses.

They made a dynamic duo, as Luke was off to fix random bits and bobs at the Inn. With he and Lorelai engaged, he was over there doing repairs for free nearly half the time. During which time, especially in the afternoons, Ella was left to look after Luke's daughter, April. To say she was shocked when Luke told her he had a twelve-year-old kid that some woman from his past had never told him about would've been an understatement. But soon, April was fitting into the groove of town. Ella was always glad to do homework with her (not that the brainiac ever needed help per se) or listen to the girl's long-winded monologues about obscure scientific principles. Sometimes, Ella hardly believed Luke and April were related. The girl could talk for days without taking a breath if she had the chance. Watching April concentrate over her textbooks and scribble essays during the early dinner rush sometimes made Ella's heart do a little, nostalgic twist. She was no longer the girl doing calculus at the corner table. To everything there was a season.

"'I Wanna Be Sedated'?" Lane asked, breaking Ella out of her reverie.

Ella turned to Lane with a small smirk, arms crossing over her chest. Breathing out a sigh, she gave a nod. Things were finally slowing down, almost everyone with a plate in front of them. She had taken over the floor for the day. Lane's wedding to Zach was only weeks away, and Lane was stressed enough as it was. Ella figured having Lane on register would at least be a decent method to avoid her passing out.

Lane narrowed her eyes and tilted her head at her friend. "What's got you in such a good mood?"

Shrugging, Ella turned to make a pot of coffee. "I don't know. I'm a college graduate. Besides, is Ramones really good mood music?"

Lane scoffed. "For you? Definitely."

"Just happy to have all this education, maybe," Ella said.

Though it had been a whole five days since her graduation, she was still basking in the glow of it. She couldn't believe she had managed to get through school in three years instead of four. It meant the upcoming summer would be her first real break from school since the summer after high school. During her last finals, she had been nearly ready to tear her hair out. Suffice it to say, it was time to stop studying for at least a little while.

"So, I guess we'll be hearing about this summa cum laude thing forever, huh?" Lane teased.

Ella's smile grew wider. "Forever is a strong word. 'The foreseeable future' would be more accurate."

Lane rolled her eyes with a chuckle.

"And what's got you all grumpy today? That's my job. Did a Freaky Friday situation happen without my knowledge?" Ella asked.

Sighing heavily, Lane went back over to the register, seeing some customers finishing up their meals. "I told you my mom wants me to wear her wedding dress, right?"