The Infamous Jethro Tull Incident

Disclaimer: All Gilmore Girls content belongs to Amy Sherman-Palladino.

*Warning: This chapter contains depictions/descriptions of anxiety and panic attacks. Please proceed with caution.*

. . .

Though Chris and Matthew had invited them out, neither Jess nor Ella had any desire to eat at some fancy restaurant on a Sunday night. It was under the guise of a celebration over the monthly Zine including an interview with someone who had once interned for Dave Eggers. Not that it was a small feat, but both Ella and Jess knew it was simply just an excuse for Chris and Matthew to go on an expensive double date. Often, the two called them frugal. And they called the two of them unnecessarily hedonistic. Whatever the case, Ella was glad to have the apartment for the night. Two days into spring break, and she was still only just bouncing back from the mid-semester exhaustion.

She sat cross-legged in her pajamas on the couch, sketching, as the water on the stove began to boil. Once again, she was attempting dinner. Spaghetti, something simple, she'd told Jess earlier in the evening. She could totally manage it. She still couldn't understand why her baking skills were never able to travel over into cooking territory. Just as she finished the lines around the eyes, the phone on the counter began ringing. Putting her sketchbook to the side, she rushed up to the counter and saw it was Jess's cellphone alight with a number.

"Jess Mariano's phone," she said as she opened the phone, hoping to answer in time.

"Ella?" the voice came through the receiver.

"Luke?" she asked.

"Yeah, it's me."

A smile came to her lips. "Hey, boss! How are you?"

Luke cleared his throat, hesitating a minute. "Oh, well I..."

"Jess is in the shower, but I can get him if you really need to talk," she cut in, growing worried. Not only because she noticed the water on the stove was boiling over and hissing on the oven. She dashed over to the stove.

"No, that's okay. I have no desire to speak to him while he's any degree of naked," Luke said gruffly.

Ella uttered a chuckle and she stirred the pot to lessen the overflow. "Well, that makes one of us."

Only a heavy sigh came from the other side of the phone.

"Sorry, sorry," she said. As she broke the spaghetti in half, balancing the phone between her ear and her shoulder, several noodles flew across the kitchen. A few landed on the burner and started to smoke instantly. "Fuck!"

"What?" Luke asked, suddenly alarmed.

Growling under her breath in frustration, she sweeped the noodles from the burner with a damp kitchen towel. "Nothing, sorry. The spaghetti caught on fire but it's fine now."

"Why are you trying to make spaghetti? You can hardly make toast," Luke groaned knowingly.

She rolled her eyes. "I'm broadening my horizons, alright? But that doesn't matter. What's going on?"

"Well, uh...you know April?"

"The name rings a bell, yes."

"Well, Anna wants to move her to New Mexico," Luke said, voice emotionless. "And I'm trying to get joint custody. The lawyer uh...he said Jess, or you, might be a good character reference. The trial, or whatever we should call it, is on Tuesday. If you can't get here, that's fine. They're speeding up the process because they're moving away so soon. You could just put it in writing, but I don't know if it would get here in the mail. So, if you can't, I completely-"