Tragedy of Gatsby

Disclaimer: All Gilmore Girls content belongs to Amy Sherman-Palladino.

. . .

Raucous laughter filled the diner as Liz had her makeshift bachelorette party. Ella could only roll her eyes at the obnoxious women, only growing louder as they drank more wine, along with whatever the one dressed in loud shades of pink, Carrie, had in her flask. With the wedding fast approaching, only one more day, Luke and Ella were doing their best to keep calm. They had closed Luke's for the afternoon to allow for the modest party, consisting of four middle-aged Stars Hollow women drinking and uttering cliché nonsense. But, they had also (somehow) been assigned the task of making the food for the festivities. Ella had no idea where Luke had acquired the large, silver rotisserie cooker which sat on the diner counter, and she was almost too afraid to ask.

Large turkey legs spun around inside the hot plexiglass contraption, and more sat on a plate on the counter. Ella stood with the manual in her hands, a crease of concentration between her brows, trying to decipher the vague instructions. Though Luke was asking Liz if she had any idea what to do, Ella knew the effort was futile. As with most of the other wedding plans, Liz would be offering little to no help. Her personality wasn't totally asinine, but Ella was beginning to understand the many complaints Luke and Jess had about Liz. She certainly wasn't amazing at problem-solving.

"Let me see it," Luke said, putting the roasted leg which he had held up to examine back down on the plate. He reached his hand out for the manual.

Ella sighed, not looking up at him. "You already read it. You need fresh eyes."

"I think I saw something that'll help. I'll try and find it," Luke continued, extending his hand to her further.

Shrugging, Ella finally tore her eyes away from the words and handed the book back over to him. "Godspeed, boss."

Just then, Jess appeared from behind the curtain and came over to the end of the counter. "I need to get some batteries. I'll be back."

"What? For your Scarface beeper?" Ella asked, eyebrows raised.

"Hey, don't get distracted. You've got legs to cook," Jess scolded playfully, but frowned as his mother called over to him. Seeing her within a five foot radius of alcohol was enough to put him slightly on edge.

"Girls, this is Jess," Liz said, taking her son by the shoulders and over to the table to show him off to her friends.

Jess was met with a flirtatious chorus of "Hello handsome!" and other such greetings. And he immediately heard Ella snort back a laugh to his left. He shot her a glare and she feigned an innocent look.

"He's gonna walk me down the aisle," Liz said. "Is that cool, or what?"

Behind the counter, Ella raised her eyebrows in surprise. It was the first she was hearing of it.

"It's no big deal," Jess replied dismissively.

"It's a very big deal," Liz insisted, a hand still placed on his shoulder. Then, she turned back to Ella, who was staring quizzically into the rotisserie cooker. "And Ella's filling in as my flower girl. I gave her one of my dresses and everything."

"Oh, you'll be great," Carrie smiled at Ella through sips of her drink. "And those Renaissance dresses Liz showed me? They'll squish your boobs right up to your neck! It'll be fabulous!"

"Yeah," Ella said flatly, sighing. After trying on the dress last night with Lorelai, they'd taken up the length and taken in the sides. But the corset was relatively static, unable to be adjusted. When laced up all the way, it almost completely cut off her ability to breathe. "I'm just counting down the seconds."