Everything Joan Didion Promised

Disclaimer: All Gilmore Girls content belongs to Amy Sherman-Palladino.

. . .

Refilling the shakers, Ella nodded at Sheriff Cooper as he waltzed into the diner. The local law enforcement came in at all hours of the day for coffee and free donuts, though it wasn't like they had boatloads to do in a town as sleepy as Stars Hollow. She didn't bother to eavesdrop on the conversation until she was behind the counter again, putting the salt and pepper back where it belonged. Coop was sliding a slip of paper across to Luke, who stood by the register. Glancing over, she recognized the handwriting immediately. After all, it was all over her books.

"Is that Jess's registration?" she asked, leaning in near Luke.

Luke sighed, casting a wary glance in her direction. "Yes."

"They found his car? Jeez, it took them long enough," she said off-handedly, tucking her hair behind her ears.

"Hey! It only took us a day, young lady," Coop chimed in, face sullen below the bill of his leather hat. "Not too hard with a hunk of junk like that."

Brows furrowed, Ella turned back to Luke and tilted her head at him in askance.

Groaning and rolling his eyes, Luke looked over at her again. "It was in my dad's old garage. I went to check on it this morning and the lock was busted off."

"You stole his car?" Ella crossed her arms over her chest, taking a step back and straightening up. When Luke didn't respond, Ella scoffed and shook her head to herself.

"Look, Ella, if he didn't have a car, maybe he wouldn't keep going to Walmart," Luke explained, his voice a grumble under his breath.

"Hm," Ella hummed, nodding doubtfully.

He was about to continue when strong yellow lights began flashing through the window to the right. A sheriff's car preceded a tow truck with Jess's rusty Ambassador hooked onto the back. Coop said the car had broken down on the Expressway a couple hours earlier, and Jess had immediately been picked up. Luke instructed Ella to hold down the fort while he went out to deal with the situation, the precession parking right out in front of the diner.

And as she began closing up, cashing out the final customers and wiping down the counters, she couldn't keep her distracted gaze off of the scene through the window. She couldn't hear what Jess and Luke were shouting at each other, but she could gather it wasn't a pleasant conversation. A knot of nerves sat in her stomach, watching from the corner of her eye. Luke eventually stomped back into the diner, and Ella saw Jess collapse into the back seat of his rust bucket across the street. She tried to ask Luke what had happened, but he shut her down instantly. The rest of the shift was spent in tense, anxious silence.

. . .

A bright half moon shone in the late February sky as Ella left the dark diner and locked up. She could see her breath in whitish clouds as she stalled in her path at the bottom of the concrete steps. Flexing her hands in the pockets of her peacoat, she bit the inside of her cheek and furrowed her brows. Either she could leave Jess where he was, curled up in the backseat of his death trap on wheels, and turn down the street to the little blue house, or go up and to him and face the music. Turning on the heel of her boot, she almost ignored him. Almost. Though she spoke to him every now and again over the phone, seeing him in person was a whole different matter. Just the sight of him made her heart twist in her chest. But then a huge gust of wind came, blowing her hair back and making frosty roses form on her freckled cheeks. Emitting an audible growl in the empty street, she shook her head to herself and marched to the car which held so many memories.