The Steinbeck Agreement

Disclaimer: All Gilmore Girls content belongs to Amy Sherman-Palladino.

*Warning: This chapter contains discussions of physical/emotional abuse. Please proceed with caution.*

. . .

The afternoon light streamed golden through the diner windows as Liz and Luke came in, Ella leaning on the counter with her sketchbook in front of her. Too enveloped in the drawing of a field of murderous daisies, Ella didn't even register what they were talking about until she heard them mention her name.

"...maybe Ella could do it," Liz said, tilting her head at the young woman with dark eye makeup and EAT ME printed across her shirt.

"Hm?" Ella asked, looking up from her sketch with furrowed brows.

Luke rolled his eyes at her distracted nature. Ever since she'd moved out of her childhood home, she'd been in a worse mood, focused almost solely on her terrifying drawings. He'd had to tell her a couple times to make sure to keep the sketchbook off the counter when there were children present.

"Be a flower girl," Liz said, a big, dreamy smile on her face. She was dressed in a long, floral red dress. "Most of the Renaissance fair crowd doesn't have small children. But if we're gonna have a wedding, we're gonna have a real wedding. Can't be a wedding without a flower girl."

"Sorry, whose wedding?" Ella asked, straightening up and raising an eyebrow.

"Mine, sweetie." Liz had a high, wispy voice that reminded Ella of the fairies she used to imagine playing in her mother's garden. "We're having it right out in the square next week. It's gonna be beautiful, all our Renaissance fair friends will be there, and it'll have this great medieval theme! And you could be the flower girl!"

"Oh, I don't..." Ella began with a shy smile, but Liz only waved a dismissive hand at her, continuing.

"I can loan you one of my fair dresses," she said excitedly, not picking up on Ella's doubtful expression.

"Yeah, Ella. You can finally perfect your whole Bride of Frankenstein look," Luke teased. His expression was far more pleasant than Ella could have predicted. Happy. Happy, in its simplest form, looked so strange on Luke. The past few months had seen the true finalization of his divorce and his having to watch Lorelai date some rich snob from her father's company. But the news seemed to brighten his mood inexplicably. She was sure the laughter at her expense wasn't exactly a drag on the day either.

Rolling her eyes, Ella shot him a pointed glance. "Y'know, you would be lost without your best waitress."

"I'm quaking in my boots. Besides, I've got Lane working for me now, anyway."

Though she narrowed her eyes at him, she could think of nothing more to say. He was right. She would never quit on him. The diner was more of a home to her than anywhere else in the world. Hell, it had almost single-handedly fed her during the worst few months of her life. Along with Lorelai's frequent feasts of junk food.

"I can just see it, Ella! It'll be so much fun and you'd look so beautiful!" Liz exclaimed, grabbing one of Ella's hands in a pleading gesture.

Biting the inside of her cheek, Ella did her best to protest. She still wasn't Liz's biggest fan, despite wherever it was that she stood with Jess. The alcohol, the neglect. But Luke seemed not entirely angry about the match, especially considering his view on TJ when the two had first been introduced back in February. And Liz's smile was so large, so radiant. Her eyes were desperate and almost kind. Heaving a huge sigh, Ella nodded. Luke was much more than her boss. And he gave a smile so rare when she agreed. She would do it for Luke, she decided. In fact, it was the least she could do.