Chapter 49

Chapter 49

A/N: Warning: A very intimate scene take place in this chapter; a warning will alert those of you under 18 or who don’t wish to read such a scene when to skip forward and when to pick the story back up again.

                                  -8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-

Groaning in complaint, I gave Eleazar my best “puppy-dog eyes” as I silently begged him to let me stop. Now. Please.

     Please?

     But Eleazar grimly shook his head. “Let’s try it again, Bella.”

     Huffing in frustration, I closed my eyes, and, gathering all the forces of my mind, concentrated again with all I had.  Perfectly still, my fiancé stood beside me, his own eyes closed, as he had been for the vast majority of the past week.

     Again, as I had for the past seven days, I tried to lift the veil of my shield away from my mind as Edward tried to “read” my thoughts.

     We had yet to be successful.

     Although it was impossible for me as a vampire to become physically exhausted, mentally I was worn to a frazzle. If only Eleazar would let up…for just a few moments.

     Please. 

     After concentrating for forty minutes straight, I opened my eyes as I moaned in disappointment. A split-second later, Edward was enfolding me in his arms; I buried my face in his chest as he comforted me.

     “Eleazar, I think she’s done in,” Edward murmured as I nodded silently against his chest in agreement.

     Eleazar huffed this time. “Fine. Let’s get back to work in fifteen minutes.”

     “You’ve got to be joking,” I complained, glaring at my sensei, guru, master, or whatever Emmett was calling Eleazar today; I swear that my wonderful brother came up with a new daily epithet just to annoy Eleazar and amuse me. Lately, Emmett had been the only one in the family to get me to crack a hint of a smile, and I thought the world of him.

     Actually, I thought the world of my family…except for Alice at the moment. Well, except for “wedding-planner-zilla” Alice, that is. Edward and Jasper had attempted to contain her, but it seemed as though every moment that Eleazar gave me a rare break from training, Alice was right there, thrusting bridal magazines and wedding gown catalogs under my nose and chattering a mile a millisecond about a lot of stuff I didn’t give a hoot about.

     I was seriously thinking of refusing to speak to her unless the conversation was non-wedding related. Really. 

     Still wrapped in Edward’s embrace with my cheek pillowed against his silent, broad chest, I heard her light step approaching and moaned softly, “Nooooooo. Please. No. I can’t.”